Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

True Escape
By CT Cobb

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love our little Escape. Its initial eye appeal was excellent and what sold us. The V6 performs well except for jumping in and out of overdrive under load. The interior is very roomy but the interior design is bland with lots of plastic. The dashboard instrument pod well illuminated. It handles just like a car; a feature we really appreciate. Although car-like it is rugged and handles off-main-road side trips with ease. We have experienced minor inconveniences. Replaced rear window windshield wiper assembly. Replaced sticking accelerator assembly. Tie rod squeaks. Needs replacing. Seats are a bit stiff on long trips. Added seat padding. Overall, excellent vehicle for our use.

Favorite Features

Great eye appeal. Nimble, car-like handling. Reliable. Responsive. Roomy. Rugged. Rear seats fold down easily once you learn the procedure. Excellent turning radius, although not as tight as my Explorer. Perfect vehicle for us. We would buy another without hesitation; particularly the hybrid.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely needs bigger gas tank, although the miles per gallon is respectable. Softer seats. Ignition key entry portal too low. Hard to move shift lever from "Park" until rpm's drop below 1,000. Frustrating. Need a place to stow the headrests when the rear seats are folded down. Better defogger.

I'd Buy it Again
By cekestner

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife had an '02 Escape XLT but she wanted a Honda Element, so we traded in the Escape. When I got in the position of being able to purchase one myself, I bought this one. It's red all over with a black interior. (1st choice was Chromecoat Yellow, but stupid Ford killed THAT colour a couple years ago.) It doesn't seem to corner quite as quickly as the '02 did (maybe they softened up the ride?), but it rides a bit softer. It also doesn't seem to stop quite as quickly as the '02. Then again, it doesn't soil up the front wheels with LOTS of brake dust like the '02 did. I hate that they moved the spare under the car, because the in-car tire well gave added storage in the '02.

Favorite Features

The engine, for sure. AND the nimble handling. (Have to watch quick moves, though). I like the view out. I've always liked a big greenhouse and this car has one. The leather power seats offer the right amount of support and adjust upward nice and high.

Suggested Improvements

For $30k, I expect stuff like push on/push off reading lights, courtesy lights in doors and footwells, power antenna, better positioned cup holders, better/bigger door pockets (including some in the REAR doors), more than ONE coat hook, and a tranny that goes into OD about 35 mph like my Taurus does.

Definitely Recommend
By Ritchie

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our first SUV and therefore we researched and test drove all competitors. Amongst mid-size, above average SUVs, this is clearly the best. We drove almost 5,000 kms (March Break trip) in the third week of ownership and have nothing but great things to say about the comfort, handling and performance. Very responsive engine performance and steering and rides comfortably on semi-rough roads (don't have any reason to take it off-road). My wife and I are 5'9" and 5'7" respectively and there is ample leg, head and shoulder room. Love the moonroof, heated seats, upgraded stereo system. Really like the simple, classy exterior styling unlike some of the competition. Reasonable storage room in rear.

Favorite Features

Living in Canada, heated seats and heated mirrors are great. Interior styling is both comfortable and attractive. Quiet engine and super stereo makes for 'I don't mind long trips' feeling. Great handling makes it fun to drive. Dash gauges are clearly visible and provide useful information.

Suggested Improvements

Serious problem: need to add small contoured mirrors to side mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Difficult access to heated seat on/off button. Should offer climate control A/C. Should have inside/outside temperature gauges. Not always sure when moonroof is closed. Fuel economy could be improved.

Love escaping in my new Escape!
By Rose

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the incredibly roomy design with the great fuel economy I get with this car! Its big like an SUV and roomy in the front and back with lots of perks but still gets the great mileage of an economy car.

Favorite Features

My Escape is a 5 speed and she really has a lot of get up and go. I also love all of the interior room. Three adults can sit comfortably in the back.

Suggested Improvements

I would only suggest putting cruise control in the 5 speed.

My Escape
By rljl

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Lives up to all its promises.

Favorite Features

AWD worked great this winter. I felt very confident driving in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better gas mpg.