Used 2005 Ford Escape HEV Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Hybrid Seen in LA
By Mark

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Within hours of the announcement, I was aware that Ford was going to produce a Escape Hybrid. Well, their Kansas City Assembly Plant did produce a well built vehicle, beautiful vehicle that delivers great gas mileage. The Hybrid has indeed delivered on it's promise of improved gas mileage, but as usual not to the EPA specs. The vehicle is so quiet that pedestrians are unaware it is running. My dealership recognized that the premiums other dealers were demanding was killing sales; I got mine without the premium. Unlike others I did not have to wait, picked mine on the lot on day of visit. All that and it looks better than a Prius.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, gas mileage, GPS Navigation.

Suggested Improvements

Console storage space is lacking, Ford has included a 110v outlet that takes up valuable driving area storage space. Larger NAV system screen and use a touch screen, NAV DVD. Bluetooth would be nice, it is a simple feature to add. Auto Climate Control, exterior temperature. Air conditioning needs improving.

Hybrid for the highway driver
By CJS

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a Toyota Highlander, but after comparing the two wound up with the Escape. This is my first American vehicle and I've been surprisingly happy with it considering how much I've hated some US-made rental cars. The interior controls are comfortingly similar to the Mazda I gave up (probably due to the fact that Escape was originally a joint Ford-Mazda project). The shift between gas and electric is imperceptible unless you're looking at the tach. The CVT and regenerative brakes give the car a slightly different feel than other cars, but not in a bad way. I do a lot of highway driving (24,000 miles a year) and have 6,000 miles in 3 months.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage: I get around 30/31 mpg with minimal stop and go driving, 29 mpg on highway road trips. Stop and go driving makes the mileage go up. Traffic jams can be fun! Cargo space: smaller than the Toyota Highlander, but flatter and better for my purposes (traveling with a couple of large dogs).

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned on other reviews, the drivers side seat belt could use a stronger recoil. The interior dome light needs to be further forward for easier access from the front seats. The ignition switch should have a courtesy light. Otherwise it's got all the conveniences that I expect.

The Wave is here
By Jerry Williams

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a certified master mechanic and a service director for three states. I have handled a lot of car complaints and driven a lot of cars and trucks. I ordered a new Ford hybrid about 6 months ago, and just got it. But it was well worth the wait. This is the quietest SUV, car, truck or anything that I have ever driven. It has to be an engineering breakthrough for Ford. It has power enough to pull up to 4,800 pounds (my boats and mowing equipment). I can tow it behind my motor home with all four wheels on the ground. I can get on the freeway very quickly. All the power you need. The warranty is 100,000 or 8 years drivetrain and battery.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage. The warranty. The power. The feel of the SUV as you drive down the road. The 6 disk radio, standard all power locks and windows and cruise control. Very good price. The service intervals of 10,000 miles. Everything about this SUV is above and beyond my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

The a/c requires a little getting used to.

Ford Escape Hybrid is a Plus
By Barry

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the Ford Escape Hybrid one month ago and the mpg has been about what Ford said it would be. 33 on the highway and about 37 mpg in the city. It handles well and is a pleasure to drive. As gas prices continue to soar, my decision to purchase the Hybrid looks better and better!

Favorite Features

The electric and gas motors are very efficient and quiet. The navigation system is very convenient. The interior is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should add a built-in garage door opener on the visor and lights in the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. The Mach Audio sound system is adequate but should be better. The navigation system should run on 1 DVD instead of 10 CD's and should be a touch screen system.

Happy with a hybrid
By CJS

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never owned an American car before, so this was a big jump for me. I've driven my hybrid for 2 months/4400 miles, and am enjoying it. The instrument layout reminds me a lot of my Mazda. Escape was a joint venture between Ford & Mazda, and it shows. I'm not frustrated with this car the way I am with many American-made rental cars I've driven. Plenty of acceleration - from a start and at highway speeds. Good cargo room (important for me, as I haul a couple of large dogs on my trips). I've been getting around 29/30 on trips and 30/31 in town, but I don't do a lot of stop and go driving.

Favorite Features

The cargo area: I had originally planned on getting a Toyota Highlander hybrid, but the cargo area of the Ford (while slightly smaller) sold me on this car. The cargo area is perfectly flat - much better than the Highlander - and well designed for hauling things.

Suggested Improvements

Interior dome light is too far back. I don't like the fact that a buzzer comes on when I engage the parking brake. I miss my sunroof. And wouldn't a green pinstripe down the notch on the side make a nice style statement?