2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Big Problems
By george-e on 07/20/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car. Aside from the transmission going out at 50k! Had a nice Mit. Galant with over 100k still ran great, but I just thought I should get something newer.

Escape has definitely proven itself
By bw on 07/19/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape in Alaska in 2005. It worked GREAT in the snow and gets good mileage. Loaded it full of stuff (so much that the rear suspension was sagging) and drove it to Minnesota in 2006, no problems. Packed it up again and drove it to Maryland in 2009. She's still running great with 95,000 miles. I replaced the stock tires at 80,000 miles and just replaced the front pads/rotors a week ago. The original brakes were on the edge of failing, but they gave me no problems for 95,000 miles. It ain't fancy but it's come a long way! I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off.

I love it
By Tom on 05/05/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Disappointed again
By Cheryl on 05/04/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2002 Escape at 38K mi. due to too many major repairs (torque converter, manifold, bearings, struts - to name a few) with a 2005 Escape with an extended warranty. After 3 months there was a leak in the gas line. At 60K mi. the torque converter and sunroof motor went up. Now at 65K mi. the ABS sensor went up ($700+ to repair). Sometimes I hear a crunching sound in the rear when I make turns or go over bumps. I have only done street/highway driving. All maintenance has been done on schedule by a Ford dealer. I will not buy another Ford.

Mile high ride
By Ray Salinas on 04/30/09 14:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.

Run away fast!
By Forditaboutit on 04/19/09 15:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for only two years. It developed a problem with the spark plugs that caused it to die (momentarily) when I hit 70. A thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then the transmission went. Two thousand dollars later, that was fixed. Then, just last week, a piston rod broke free and destroyed the engine. This car was less than five years old, and had less than 100,000 miles on it. Never again. I am done trying to support the domestic auto industry. I don't expect much from a car. But I certainly expect more than the Escape provided.

Great but has problems
By InspectoRob on 03/24/09 06:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We Loved our 03 xlt so we bought an 05 Limited. We missed the selector switch for AWD, but the center console and LTD amenities made up for that. Wind noise is much better. Still has the annoying temperature problem - heater blows very hot or cool with no in-between. Fog/driving lights are better. At about 10k miles transmission would slip when gas was let up then back on while moving - Dealer said it was ok. Got worse over time. Plastic parts broke mysteriously - front wheel lip and a panel on the back hatch. The ABS module went - 100 miles after warranty. Fought with dealer and got it for reduced cost (Ford was No Help!) It just went again so we are trading today.

Great SUV
By escape guy on 03/08/09 12:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have really enjoyed our escape the last month. We got a great deal and for the money we couldn't have asked for a more useful SUV. Its great for us because where we live there isn't much room to park. We enjoy camping and the wilderness so the 4x4 will work out great for that.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten on 01/09/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

Great SUV
By bill lee on 12/08/08 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looked far and wide for a 4 cyl/5 speed FWD. This is a great drivetrain. Have gotten 31 MPG several times. Overall I get 28+MPG on my mostly highway commute. Snow is no problem with FWD. I run good snow tires and have had no problems even in deep snow. Not as good as my old jeep but never got stuck. Get the 05 and up vs the 04 if you can. Much better interior design and the bigger 2.3 motor gives better performance and fuel milage. Looked at the Toyota and Honda, but were much more expensive and much smaller. My son is 6'3" and fits in the back with no problems. Also no $300-500 timing belt to worry about on these cars. Has been very reliable. 60,000 miles and no problems what so ever.