2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
great so far....just got it a month ago
By lotekgirl on 12/14/09 10:59 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '01 Intrepid for this '05 Escape. So far my husband and I are very pleased with it. This vehicle is great if you are looking to step up to your first SUV from a car. The Escape is very responsive; it drives and handles great. I agree with other reviewers about filling the gas tank: it is annoying because you can't just put the nozzle in, lock it in place and walk away. It always clicks off a few seconds later so I have to stand there and hold it, which I never had to do with my car. The gas mileage on the v6 isn't that great. I'm constantly filling my gas tank (city driving about 90% of the time). the ignition could have been more well placed (odd spot, have to search).

Keeps Working Hard
By WNYFordGuy on 10/28/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Apr 05, this is my wife's daily driver. It has 70k miles, and runs like new again after repairing damage to the front susp (wheel bearings and sway bar links) caused by the harsh upstate WNY roads at 58k. I was disappointed that the Uni joints failed shortly afterwards (61k), along w/ the rear wiper (63k), and ABS sensors and rear shocks (67k) - $$$! But it's great in the snow, and gets pretty good gas mileage w/ the 2.3L 4 cyl 5-spd manual. Replaced the orig General tires w/ Goodyear Fortera SilentArmors at 41k, though I probably could have gotten 4k-10k more out of the Generals (which weren't anywhere near as bad/noisy as the reviewers claim the Continental Contitracs are)

A Welcome Escape
By Rod Minnesota on 10/15/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As of October 2009, my wife has 153,000 miles on her 2005 Escape. She loves the vehicle and I appreciate its relatively low cost of ownership. Only repair that we have had has been two door latches replaced - not sure why they are plastic.

Crappy Sun Visor
By Wojo on 08/26/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Although almost everything on my Escape Hybrid is great I have had problems with the sun visors since I bought it. On the driver's side, where I need it the most, it has come loose and had to be replaced about once every two years! As it is no longer under warranty it is about $100 to do this, which is in itself outrageous. Although I like the vehicle, if Ford can not fix this I will be looking into a different vehicle. I refuse to pay this for a problem that has been identified by many and not fixed.

A worthwhile purchase
By PhilFromDetroit on 07/28/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this SUV for two years, buying at the 24,000 mile mark and now at 42,000 miles. We have not had any unexpected problems except one: the rear tailgate started to rust. The dealer fixed that. Replaced front discs at 40K and the Conti's at 40K. Otherwise no problems to report. It's surefooted in MI winters. On extended Highway driving it got almost 24 MPG, but in extended stop and go it's getting about 16 MPG.

Big Problems
By george-e on 07/20/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Great little car. Aside from the transmission going out at 50k! Had a nice Mit. Galant with over 100k still ran great, but I just thought I should get something newer.

Escape has definitely proven itself
By bw on 07/19/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape in Alaska in 2005. It worked GREAT in the snow and gets good mileage. Loaded it full of stuff (so much that the rear suspension was sagging) and drove it to Minnesota in 2006, no problems. Packed it up again and drove it to Maryland in 2009. She's still running great with 95,000 miles. I replaced the stock tires at 80,000 miles and just replaced the front pads/rotors a week ago. The original brakes were on the edge of failing, but they gave me no problems for 95,000 miles. It ain't fancy but it's come a long way! I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off.

I love it
By Tom on 05/05/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Disappointed again
By Cheryl on 05/04/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2002 Escape at 38K mi. due to too many major repairs (torque converter, manifold, bearings, struts - to name a few) with a 2005 Escape with an extended warranty. After 3 months there was a leak in the gas line. At 60K mi. the torque converter and sunroof motor went up. Now at 65K mi. the ABS sensor went up ($700+ to repair). Sometimes I hear a crunching sound in the rear when I make turns or go over bumps. I have only done street/highway driving. All maintenance has been done on schedule by a Ford dealer. I will not buy another Ford.

Mile high ride
By Ray Salinas on 04/30/09 14:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The Escape is easy to drive and the AUTO AWD with bigger tires handles well in snow and off-road driving in the Colorado mountains. Very responsive steering and braking - I avoided an accident when another car blindly merged into my lane and I had to react quickly by braking and steering away from the other driver to avoid a collision. Escape is very responsive. Large cargo space for our two dogs but would prefer a rear power window. Small SUV with roomy interior and powerful V6.