2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
2005 Ford Escape Hybrid
By Dawn Burrell on 06/16/05 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Escape Hybrid is excellent on gas, fun to drive, and awesome in snowy weather. Overall, I like the car's performance, and was surprised when I floored it how fast it accelerated. I bought the car and will have it for the next 5 years and will definitely buy the 2010 model.

Escape Hybrid Seen in LA
By Mark on 06/16/05 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Within hours of the announcement, I was aware that Ford was going to produce a Escape Hybrid. Well, their Kansas City Assembly Plant did produce a well built vehicle, beautiful vehicle that delivers great gas mileage. The Hybrid has indeed delivered on it's promise of improved gas mileage, but as usual not to the EPA specs. The vehicle is so quiet that pedestrians are unaware it is running. My dealership recognized that the premiums other dealers were demanding was killing sales; I got mine without the premium. Unlike others I did not have to wait, picked mine on the lot on day of visit. All that and it looks better than a Prius.

Good Mileage and Fun to Drive
By Jim in DC on 06/11/05 07:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I expected to get better gas mileage, but did not expect the actual mileage to be within the "published" range. However I AM getting between 29-33 mpg on a regular basis. The display module showing constant fuel economy, and the GPS navigation make the vehicle FUN.. Also the sound system is much better that I expected from a factory built-in. All in all, a really fun vehicle to drive, with good gas mileage (and a lot of questions from potential buyers everywhere I go).

Sonic Blue First Review
By jomomma on 06/08/05 23:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 78 year old mother bought this sonic blue hybrid SUV. She is still trying to figure out some of the technology, but loves it. Seats could be a little more "cushiony"; pretty firm, for an older lady with not much fat (and me too), more plumpness in the seating would be nice. Was told it has "intelligent 4WD", meaning it puts itself into 4WD when it needs to; would be nice to have a light or something on the instrument panel that shows when it is actually in 4WD. But so far we love this little hybrid SUV! Oh yeah, sometimes there is a pretty loud "thump" when the electric engine kicks in, like while sitting at a light, that kinda freaks you out, I thought what the heck just hit my car?

Great Performance
By zadscmc on 06/01/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second hybrid, the first with a CVT. After getting "used" to how the transmission drives the car, the characteristics of electric assist, and the general drive of the SUV, we are now averaging well over 30 MPG. The dealer has been very good, and to date, we've had no problems whatsoever. We expect to be able to push this to 35 MPG by the end of the summer.

Hybrid for the highway driver
By CJS on 05/29/05 22:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a Toyota Highlander, but after comparing the two wound up with the Escape. This is my first American vehicle and I've been surprisingly happy with it considering how much I've hated some US-made rental cars. The interior controls are comfortingly similar to the Mazda I gave up (probably due to the fact that Escape was originally a joint Ford-Mazda project). The shift between gas and electric is imperceptible unless you're looking at the tach. The CVT and regenerative brakes give the car a slightly different feel than other cars, but not in a bad way. I do a lot of highway driving (24,000 miles a year) and have 6,000 miles in 3 months.

The Wave is here
By Jerry Williams on 05/23/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a certified master mechanic and a service director for three states. I have handled a lot of car complaints and driven a lot of cars and trucks. I ordered a new Ford hybrid about 6 months ago, and just got it. But it was well worth the wait. This is the quietest SUV, car, truck or anything that I have ever driven. It has to be an engineering breakthrough for Ford. It has power enough to pull up to 4,800 pounds (my boats and mowing equipment). I can tow it behind my motor home with all four wheels on the ground. I can get on the freeway very quickly. All the power you need. The warranty is 100,000 or 8 years drivetrain and battery.

It is fun to drive it!
By L.Castillo on 05/19/05 14:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For starters it's the first time I don't see the car I am driving all over! It's unique since I got a rare exterior color one. Unlike Priuses that are all over it seems. But in what matters, it is still an SUV. I fit inside and I am a big guy, and uphill, it does NOT cower. True, one has to learn how to drive all over again, not be heavy on the gas or the brakes. There is assistance there that was not available before. What I cannot understand is why Ford is not gearing that Kansas plant to produce more of these babies. Until Toyota brings out the Highlander (overpriced if you ask me) they had the market for themselves! I love it, period! p.s. I have THE red one.

Hybrid SUV -- Feels Like Cheating
By Bullwinkle on 05/17/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I simply love my Escape Hybrid. I have all the room I need for the wife, 2 kids, and the dog in the back, and yet I regularly get fuel economy close to 30 mpg average per tank.

Not too bad for Ford's first attempt
By Camper on 05/15/05 10:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Living in Michigan, you get dirty looks and raised eyebrows if you don't buy American. Michigan is also very spread out, with my daily commute being 35 miles each way, mostly freeway. This SUV is just a regular 4 cylinder car at freeway speeds (70 mph), with no benefit of fuel economy. Engine sounds terrible at 70 mph. But it is great for city driving (particularly stop and go traffic). Ford says the towing capacity is only 750 lbs., which is very non-SUV like. We would not buy this again. Toyota Highlander hybrid is coming, and we are trading in the Ford for Toyota. The Toyota is much more comfortable and can tow our 1500 lb. pop up camper. So much for the eyebrows.