Used 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I'm disappointed
By Wendy

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was buying a fun economical vehicle. It is not getting the mileage I had hoped. Several items have come apart or do not work as well as they should. I don't like the dash board styling. I wish Ford had offered some helpful live hints about how to drive it for its best economy. (They have offered now). Also, you HAVE to be sure to keep the maintenance up and I'm worried about the cost of a replacement battery when mine dies. Also, the leather seats are only partially covered.

Favorite Features

I like the 6 CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Someone who knows how the vehicle works should be on hand to show new buyers the ins and outs of the vehicle. Spend a bit more on quality inside.

AWD Hybrid Escape
By NYdriver

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We now have close to 2000 miles and the gas mileage is 31.5 mpg. We like the SUV a lot. There is no other 4WD SUV that comes close to the gas mileage and living in the north east where the winters are brutal, 4WD is very important.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg is always a never ending goal, hopefully physics will not hinder the goal like it appears to have done for now.

I Really Like It
By Ira

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Based on my first 1000 miles I achieved 29.4 mpg. For a car this size and with AWD I am pleased with the mileage. The vehicle has a stiff European type ride and responsive steering. The symbiotic relationship between the electric motors, gas engine, generators and battery results in a smooth, seamless ride. The car is not a luxury vehicle so don't expect frivolous amenities. The car also has good acceleration (153 total horsepower), but the right armrest is too short and the seats could use a little more padding. Overall: I'm very pleased

Car is a gas hog!
By Fran

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'd hoped to come close to the sticker advertised MPG rating but so far, can't come close. I am not a hot rodder, but a 76 year old female who drives to drive the posted speed limit, city or highway and don't dig out at stop signs. The last fill up I got 17.95--not anywhere near the 33 or 29 MPG as advertised. I wished I had kept my 2000 Sable, as I got 24 MPG with that and did not have to sit in a furnace at a stop light unless I turn on the Max Air which turn on the engine. I have conferred with the dealer two times, the last time they said I should try PREMIUM GASOLINE!!! I bought this vehicle for economy not to break my budget. Is anyone else out there getting this bad gasoline mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Let's have an honest evaluation of the MPG under all weather conditions whether it's 105F like here in CA. or 10 below like in Minn. It isn't fair to mislead us with false statements!!! I plan to make a report to the California Consumer Affairs Board next week.

Hybrid Rip Off
By Moe

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I paid $10,000 extra for a Ford Hybrid Escape that doesn't come close to the advertised mileage. The Ford dealership doesn't want to hear from me anymore. They chose to insult me instead and say the difference in fuel economy is due to my "heavy foot". I have offered to have the dealership take my car for a month and prove to me that the Ford Escape Hybrid is capable of getting the 33 to 38 mpg that it is advertised at; however, they will not do that. Basically they have told me to pursue the lemon law. Ten thousand dollars buys a lot of gas even at today's prices.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to stand behind its product.