Used 2005 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Terrific small SUV
By David McDonald

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First time purchase of an SUV. Fun to drive and relatively cheap to operate. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Easy handling. Quick steering response. Very easy to enter and exit for us old folks.

Suggested Improvements

None.

WELL PLEASED
By D LITTLE

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my vehicle. My only complaint - some areas of craftsmanship appear rushed around doors and carpet areas. Also my shocks have small leak at only 22,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Gas saver.

Suggested Improvements

Inside features.

Great Value for the money
By Ted

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the base 4 cylinder 5 speed new last year. Roomy, versatile, fun to drive, ECONOMICAL, and very capable in bad weather. The size is deceiving. Looks small on the outside, but it's as big as our Cherokee on the inside. Routinely get 26 - 27 mpg in town, and 29+ mpg on highway. Anti lock brakes are standard, and the car feels very solid on the road. This little 2.4L 4 cylinder makes as much hp & torque as small 2 bbl V-8s did 20 years ago. LOTS of convenience features, even in base model. Upholstery material could be nicer, and I am finding that the accelerator pedal sticks (won't depress) sometimes when cold - that will be a warranty trip. Otherwise, we love it. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy A+++, performance, roominess & versatility. Base model is well equipped. We like the way it looks, too. Love being able to open the back window w/ hatch/tailgate closed. Tons of interior storage, good build quality & finish. Love the hidden compartment in floor of cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Needs plastic rub strips on roof for the roof rack. Upgrade the upholstery material and carpeting. Other than that, Ford got it right with this vehicle.

Escape is an excellent vehicle
By Markc50

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I searched on the internet for a local dealer who had an Escape with the 4 cyl. and manual trans. I found one 30 miles away and it is worth the drive. In what I call suburban driving, I get between 25.5 to 27 mpg. Depending on who drives the most, my wife or I. On a trip 70 % highway I got just under 30 mpg. 29.9 to be exact. Very enjoyable to drive. Road noise comes from the tires. With the air on it is a little pokey, but just rev it to 3000 rpm before shift change and it is fine. No squeaks or rattles in 1800 miles. Rear seats are easy to fold. Removable head- rests go under front seats. It is FUN to drive, easy to park. Has a nice exhaust note. Would recommend the Escape to anyone.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual. Comes nicely equipped with the convenience package. Upgraded interior for '05. Love the fuel economy. Friend with 3.0 and auto gets 18 city and 23 on trips. I get 26 around town and almost 30 on the highway. The ride is pretty good. A little jouncy on washboard roads. To be expected.

Suggested Improvements

My wife is short, so I only wish that a power seat would be available on the lower trim packages. To get the power seat I'd have to give up the manual transmission and go to the XLT trim level. Other than that, I can't honestly fault the car in any way. Ford did a great job in designing the Escape.

My Ford Escape
By Lisa

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Feels like a truck. But it's not. It gives you the room to pick up and drop off without having to get someone to move it for you. It's sporty yet I am very confident that I am safe when driving it. I love my Escape! I would recommend it to anyone interested in a small SUV.

Favorite Features

Rear window wiper. Perimeter alarm. Rear window opens separate from the door. Seats lay down for extra storage.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not the best but that is with any SUV. Cloth seats are hard to get the stains off.