Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A nice small SVU
By syoung

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far, it has been unfailingly reliable. Mine is a very early example of the 2005 year. I have the 4 wheel drive version; the 4 wheel drive is just flawless. You don't generally notice when it engages, but traction is there all the time. Great room for an SUV of this class - but why don't they make them six inches wider? They'd do better to eliminate the floor console and install under-seat bins.

Favorite Features

Folks wanting 4 wheel drive for better traction on rain and snow slick streets will find this perfect. It's not what I'd use if I were going serious 4 wheeling on a regular basis. Very responsive engine. Hopefully I never find out about the side curtain airbags. Good visibility all around.

Suggested Improvements

Nose feels light at higher speeds. Electronics are primitive - no decent navigation system, for example. Radio compartment is rather small. No provision for an I-pod. Adjustable rear seats would be a plus.

Where did quality go?
By Mike Noel

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After owning foreign-made cars for several years, my wife and I thought we'd give American-built cars a try; so we bought Fords - an Escape for me and an Expedition for her. We hardly can keep them out of the shop. I've had a rattle in the dash that is now in for its 4th fix this year. Also, each morning when I start the car, there is a "screech" of metal on metal that my Ford dealership tells me they've never heard before. They are trying to fix it. For us, no more American-made cars. We are going to go back to Toyota and Honda.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage (21/gal), stereo system, leather interior, responsive handling, good value (if everything worked properly), air conditioner better than the Honda CR-V, split second row folding seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders (awkward to use), less road noise, fewer rattles.

By Bob

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent handling. Plenty of power, especially in the snow. Responsive vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior comfort & convenience.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat.

Escape Well Developed for the Long Run
By Richard

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive long distances in my business and appreciate the comfort and utility of the Escape. I also drive in very hot climates of the Southwest and the air conditioner is outstanding. Picking up speed with the air conditioner on at speed is extremely satisfactory. I would recommend the vehicle to anyone; new buyers, young buyers, buyers that want to be able to carry the golf clubs everywhere as I do, or senior citizens.

Favorite Features

For a vehicle that is economical, I love the roominess of both the back seat and the carry on capacity for luggage, golf clubs, and groceries/shopping items.

Exceeded expectations
By Dave

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I were hoping to pay off our 2002 Jetta, until mechanical issues began cropping up. I decided against sinking a large chunk of change to pay it off, and buy new again. Test drove larger SUV's (4Runner, Pathfinder). I really wanted a Honda Pilot. I loved the ride and handling. Reality set in, and we opted for a smaller SUV because of price. It was between the CR-V and Escape. We bought the Ford because of rebates, discounts and pleasurable buying experience from dealer, and it's grown on me more and more each day. Very surprised by the amount of room, power, and handling.

Favorite Features

Lots of room and cargo capacity. Good power from V6. Steering feel. Very supportive seats. Comfortable ergonomics for driver.

Suggested Improvements

Typical Ford drivetrain vibrations. My F150 had same gas pedal "buzz" at certain speeds. Lacks drivetrain smoothness of Honda CR-V. Needs a larger gas tank/better mileage. If Honda Pilot can get 17/22 with more room and 255bhp, Escape should be better. Climate control knobs feel flimsy and cheap.