2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Terrific small SUV
By David McDonald on 05/15/06 05:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First time purchase of an SUV. Fun to drive and relatively cheap to operate. Highly recommend.

WELL PLEASED
By D LITTLE on 05/10/06 23:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my vehicle. My only complaint - some areas of craftsmanship appear rushed around doors and carpet areas. Also my shocks have small leak at only 22,000 miles.

Great Value for the money
By Ted on 01/26/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the base 4 cylinder 5 speed new last year. Roomy, versatile, fun to drive, ECONOMICAL, and very capable in bad weather. The size is deceiving. Looks small on the outside, but it's as big as our Cherokee on the inside. Routinely get 26 - 27 mpg in town, and 29+ mpg on highway. Anti lock brakes are standard, and the car feels very solid on the road. This little 2.4L 4 cylinder makes as much hp & torque as small 2 bbl V-8s did 20 years ago. LOTS of convenience features, even in base model. Upholstery material could be nicer, and I am finding that the accelerator pedal sticks (won't depress) sometimes when cold - that will be a warranty trip. Otherwise, we love it. Highly recommended.

Escape is an excellent vehicle
By Markc50 on 08/11/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I searched on the internet for a local dealer who had an Escape with the 4 cyl. and manual trans. I found one 30 miles away and it is worth the drive. In what I call suburban driving, I get between 25.5 to 27 mpg. Depending on who drives the most, my wife or I. On a trip 70 % highway I got just under 30 mpg. 29.9 to be exact. Very enjoyable to drive. Road noise comes from the tires. With the air on it is a little pokey, but just rev it to 3000 rpm before shift change and it is fine. No squeaks or rattles in 1800 miles. Rear seats are easy to fold. Removable head- rests go under front seats. It is FUN to drive, easy to park. Has a nice exhaust note. Would recommend the Escape to anyone.

My Ford Escape
By Lisa on 06/19/05 13:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Feels like a truck. But it's not. It gives you the room to pick up and drop off without having to get someone to move it for you. It's sporty yet I am very confident that I am safe when driving it. I love my Escape! I would recommend it to anyone interested in a small SUV.

Disappointed in this vehicle
By LuckyDL on 01/31/05 10:01 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this SUV for the gas mileage and I have not been disappointed, I travel all over DC every day and this SUV is perfect for it. However it is the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever driven. The distance from the steering wheel to the back rest is uncomfortable. The cup holder is not convenient in the least bit. I load alot of things in the back, especially early in the morning - there is no light back there, can't see a thing! I HATE the noise that goes off when you don't buckle your seatbelt, (if I want to buckle I will). Drivers seat is hard and uncomfortable. This care zooms around DC with the greatest of ease and for that and for the mileage I am grateful.

Driving an SUV
By Violet Brooks on 01/07/05 00:26 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like the size of the SUV, the gas mileage and it is SO MUCH fun to drive

Build better
By Cathy on 01/02/05 11:17 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like my Escape but the only thing I don't like is the cheap interior. The fan knobs break easy and I think they should use a higher quality material.

Top over quality
By Gary on 01/02/05 08:17 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Find that the preformance and response could be improved. I found that overall the Escape was reliable and easy to handle on long trips, however I was a bit disappointed with the gas economy and the under sized gas tank required frequent fill ups. The Ford Escape was able to stay with other autos on the highway. I also noticed some road noise that could be a bit distracting I also discovered the rear wiper does not always clean the rear window in cold weather but streaks leaving gaps in the window uncleaned.

Wonderful
By PBGrl88 on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really love our little suv. It's better on gas then the regular SUV's and it just fits better. I'm not as nervous about hitting something because it's in a blind spot.