Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

First Escape, not the last
By bnosay

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need. Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back. My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly 320 Miles to a tank. can't complain 188,000+ strong

Favorite Features

AWD V6 Engine GAS MILEAGE!

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is quite loud. suspension is a little rough.. you feel everything.

My first Ford and SUV
By dee_hayden

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

Favorite Features

I love the cd/stereo. I'm happy it has AC and heat. I love the fog lights and the space. I love having a four door vehicle that is descent on gas. My first car was a truck and I missed having a truck. This makes me go back to my roots. Its great for trips. I just don't like leather seats unless they heat up. If ya get an Escape, make sure to get a one that is a V6, it'll be very dependable versus a 4cyl. When driving this vehicle, I feel like I'm driving a luxury car like a Honda or Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

needs Heated leather seats

It's not worth it. Run away.
By ih8ford2

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make such a POS and sell it for the price of a decent vehicle.

New to me
By tulareave

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2005 Ford Escape XLT, and so far it has been great! I have had to have a few things replaced but that's to be expected at 85000 plus miles. The negative is the road noise! Wholy cow, I am looking for tires to help lessen it. I wish it had a few more bells and whistles but for me right now it seems to be working out just fine. I have for the most part only purchased fords Im hoping this one does not disappoint. Hoping to get the 2013 eventually. I

Favorite Features

I love, love, love the sun roof! The radio isn't half bad either. Cargo space is great as well.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise! Not super bad. Also heard that there is know glitch with a fuse that causes the vehicle to completely shut down. After much research heard this comment quite a lot but Ford has not acknowledged it as a recall. Clearly not a driver thing, a builder thing. Not a fan of the easily stained seats, not super comfortable but tolerable.

planning a long trip
By leavingjersey

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape in 2010 from Ford dealership in Mount Holly,New Jersey; the minute I took it home I had problems with the censors. Called Dealership and after much heated discussion they repaired it. Mileage is about 21 mpg. Should have inspected the undercarriage better. Found lots of rust. After living in New Jersey and driving in snow and ice, which we have plenty of, I'm planning to drive to San Antonio, Texas. I'm a little nervous to attempt the trip. Will update after my arrival in Texas.

Favorite Features

Seat heater comes in handy with Jersey weather.

Suggested Improvements

These engines were prebuilt and inserted into the body. When things like the oil pan need repair, the whole engine has to be hoisted out. No other way. Big Problem.