2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews 2

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Ford Escape purchased brand new
By kyleservice on 05/10/12 17:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005. So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far. (Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.) This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system. I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement. We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

Do not buy this junk!
By maxout06 on 09/24/11 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Escape XLT with 78,000 on the odometer. Good price and the thing looked cherry. After driving it for a couple months, the OBD light came on and it started misfiring. After a little research, I found out Ford used sub-standard parts to build this model. The ignition coils burn out the drivers in the ECM at about 100,000 miles. Well past warranty stage. Ford knew of this and sent a memo to dealers on what to look for if the code P0351 was showing. A repair that costs average $1,500. The worst thing is since this issue took place after market, the only ECM's left are used or reman. This is the reason people are buying Asian cars more. Ford, you people are crooks.

2005 Ford Escape is a great vehicle!
By kpbo24 on 07/24/11 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to junk my 2005 Dodge Neon after many, many problems and decided to buy this 2005 Ford Escape to replace it. I am very happy that I did. It runs great, even with 90,000 miles on it. I haven't had the opportunity to try out the all wheel drive in the snow yet. The only issue I have with the vehicle is that it is a gas guzzler. I only get about 20 miles to the gallon, as I do mostly city driving. It seems like I just fill it up and the next thing I know my tank is down 25 to 50 percent. I got nitro put into my tires to increase the gas milage a little bit.

Gas Tank
By jerod on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently switched from a 2003 Explorer to the 05 Escape and although I really loved and miss the Explorer, I think the Escape is great. The only thing that really pisses me off every time is when the gas hose shuts off. I should be able to start the gas and walk away. I live in Wisconsin. It's cold. Come on! Other than that I love it :)

Overall a nice little SUV
By Gpowers on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the wife's car, not mine. We had it since new. Dislikes, no power passenger seat, no compass or outside temp display, Uncomfortable seats everywhere except driver. Bad design on heated seats switch placement and function (can't see light, no temperature control, turns on accidentally) , poor placement of cruise on switch(on steering wheel, accidentally gets turned off), noisy tires at road speed. V6 gets buzzy when in second and delivers less than stellar mileage (19 City, 21 Hwy). Great vehicle in snow and reliable as a rock. Wife loves it. I'm not as impressed. I hope Ford addressed these issues in future versions. Only problem was front brakes at 39K which is maintenance.

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder
By bsumorgan on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

Nice truck
By SUVguy on 06/03/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Bad Plugs
By Bill on 05/08/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

Very Dependable!
By Fred Reno on 01/29/10 20:14 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

Time to get rid of
By ejbjb on 01/18/10 21:25 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Escape. 2 problems...brake routers warp and need turning or replacement frequently. 121000km and the engine has died. Will replace with a newer Escape. Reliable, great cargo hauling, good basic transportation.