Used 2005 Ford Escape HEV Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love it
By mcjones

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first truck I have ever owned so it is hard for me to compare a non-HEV truck to this one. I have been very impressed with the gas mileage and performance. I am averaging 33 mpg combined driving in the summer and 26 mpg combined driving in the winter. The mechanism that switches from full electric to hybrid when accelerating from a stop is very impressive. It is as seamless as could possibly be expected. I am not a very fast driver but I can report that this vehicle accelerates very slowly compared with previous cars that I have owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to use less gasoline and can afford the extra cost of the hybrid vs. standard Escape.

Favorite Features

Electric to hybrid transition mechanism, electric steering, CVT transmission, easily convertible rear seating, large cargo area and fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Finding products associated with regular maintenance have been very difficult. Only the dealer has these parts. $50 air filter is ridiculous.

I'm disappointed
By Wendy

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was buying a fun economical vehicle. It is not getting the mileage I had hoped. Several items have come apart or do not work as well as they should. I don't like the dash board styling. I wish Ford had offered some helpful live hints about how to drive it for its best economy. (They have offered now). Also, you HAVE to be sure to keep the maintenance up and I'm worried about the cost of a replacement battery when mine dies. Also, the leather seats are only partially covered.

Favorite Features

I like the 6 CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Someone who knows how the vehicle works should be on hand to show new buyers the ins and outs of the vehicle. Spend a bit more on quality inside.

Car is a gas hog!
By Fran

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'd hoped to come close to the sticker advertised MPG rating but so far, can't come close. I am not a hot rodder, but a 76 year old female who drives to drive the posted speed limit, city or highway and don't dig out at stop signs. The last fill up I got 17.95--not anywhere near the 33 or 29 MPG as advertised. I wished I had kept my 2000 Sable, as I got 24 MPG with that and did not have to sit in a furnace at a stop light unless I turn on the Max Air which turn on the engine. I have conferred with the dealer two times, the last time they said I should try PREMIUM GASOLINE!!! I bought this vehicle for economy not to break my budget. Is anyone else out there getting this bad gasoline mileage?

Suggested Improvements

Let's have an honest evaluation of the MPG under all weather conditions whether it's 105F like here in CA. or 10 below like in Minn. It isn't fair to mislead us with false statements!!! I plan to make a report to the California Consumer Affairs Board next week.

2005 Escape Hybrid
By Mary Manley

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very nice car for the price range with WONDERFUL gas mileage. I drive 100+ miles per day, mostly highway, and my average miles per gallon is now 36.2.

Suggested Improvements

Back-up sensor, GPS only feature -- currently it is only available if you purchase the "Hybrid Energy Audiophile."

Moderate Enthusiasm for Escape Hybrid
By Jean

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I now have 5000 miles on my Escape hybrid. Gas mileage is great (about 33 combined) but vehicle seems plasticy. Seats are very uncomfortable, interior cheap plastic throughout. Lots of rattles. Amenities available are few. Air conditioning system needs improved engineering. It handles well though and is agile. Fairly smooth ride for a small SUV. For the cost it should be a nicer, smoother vehicle that seems stable and well built - so I have some disappointment.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, nice look, agile handling.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, improve quality of interior, make sun roof available. Improve air conditioning performance.