2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Escape Hybrid Seen in LA
By Mark on 06/16/05 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Within hours of the announcement, I was aware that Ford was going to produce a Escape Hybrid. Well, their Kansas City Assembly Plant did produce a well built vehicle, beautiful vehicle that delivers great gas mileage. The Hybrid has indeed delivered on it's promise of improved gas mileage, but as usual not to the EPA specs. The vehicle is so quiet that pedestrians are unaware it is running. My dealership recognized that the premiums other dealers were demanding was killing sales; I got mine without the premium. Unlike others I did not have to wait, picked mine on the lot on day of visit. All that and it looks better than a Prius.

Hybrid for the highway driver
By CJS on 05/29/05 22:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was going to buy a Toyota Highlander, but after comparing the two wound up with the Escape. This is my first American vehicle and I've been surprisingly happy with it considering how much I've hated some US-made rental cars. The interior controls are comfortingly similar to the Mazda I gave up (probably due to the fact that Escape was originally a joint Ford-Mazda project). The shift between gas and electric is imperceptible unless you're looking at the tach. The CVT and regenerative brakes give the car a slightly different feel than other cars, but not in a bad way. I do a lot of highway driving (24,000 miles a year) and have 6,000 miles in 3 months.

The Wave is here
By Jerry Williams on 05/23/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a certified master mechanic and a service director for three states. I have handled a lot of car complaints and driven a lot of cars and trucks. I ordered a new Ford hybrid about 6 months ago, and just got it. But it was well worth the wait. This is the quietest SUV, car, truck or anything that I have ever driven. It has to be an engineering breakthrough for Ford. It has power enough to pull up to 4,800 pounds (my boats and mowing equipment). I can tow it behind my motor home with all four wheels on the ground. I can get on the freeway very quickly. All the power you need. The warranty is 100,000 or 8 years drivetrain and battery.

Ford Escape Hybrid is a Plus
By Barry on 04/15/05 16:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the Ford Escape Hybrid one month ago and the mpg has been about what Ford said it would be. 33 on the highway and about 37 mpg in the city. It handles well and is a pleasure to drive. As gas prices continue to soar, my decision to purchase the Hybrid looks better and better!

Happy with a hybrid
By CJS on 04/09/05 22:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never owned an American car before, so this was a big jump for me. I've driven my hybrid for 2 months/4400 miles, and am enjoying it. The instrument layout reminds me a lot of my Mazda. Escape was a joint venture between Ford & Mazda, and it shows. I'm not frustrated with this car the way I am with many American-made rental cars I've driven. Plenty of acceleration - from a start and at highway speeds. Good cargo room (important for me, as I haul a couple of large dogs on my trips). I've been getting around 29/30 on trips and 30/31 in town, but I don't do a lot of stop and go driving.

Excellent Vehicle, but not for everyone
By studmonsh on 03/30/05 23:03 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my new hybrid. Room of an SUV with the economy of a small car. Quite a few options, but I would have liked to seen more. Other than that, I'm very pleased. Best gas mileage in the city since the brakes regenerate the energy stored in the battery, which operates the engine up to 30-35 mph. Be warned-if you plan on putting a lot of highway miles on it, you're going to get close to the same efficiency of a regular Escape, which is still great for an SUV, but if you're paying the extra for hybrid technology, you'll want to make sure you'll make up for it by what you save on gas. Bottom line-it's not for everyone. Great for stop-and-go traffic and city driving.

The Best Small SUV
By Rich on 01/29/05 15:15 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been a die hard Japanese buyer since 1979. When the American car makers, especially Ford, design an SUV that not only looks as nice as the Japanese models, but also performs as well and has the fit and finish to match, you owe it to reward them for their effort and purchase this only Hybrid SUV at the moment.

Mileage not up to expectations
By Ann on 01/23/05 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving my hybrid Escape for 2 months. I love how it handles and accelerates but I have been disappointed in other features. The gas mileage is rated at 29 to 32 mpg. The highest I have gotten so far is 24.6 mpg for any city/highway combination. Ford has said it takes 10,000 miles of driving to "break it in". I paid a lot of extra money for the high mileage feature and now may not get what I paid for. Also, the interior fabric and door covering is of a lesser quality. Mine was wrinkled and I had to take it to the dealer to be steamed. I love the low emissions and the way it drives. If the mileage increases, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a midsize SUV.

A terrific hybrid entry
By gomermaid on 01/06/05 23:50 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent performance with good, not great mileage (about 27 mpg), but much better that comparable SUV's. Fun to drive and handles exceptionally well. Cannot think of a major drawback. A little sluggish on pick up, but once at highway speed it's all there. Windshield wipers not balanced and leave major areas uncleaned. Might be just a dealer adjustment.

2005 Escape Hybrid
By Susan on 01/06/05 01:03 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

From the moment I first heard about Ford planning an Escape Hybrid, I wanted one. I got mine in early November 2004 and have been very pleased. Except for a faulty computer brake problem (which was quickly diagnosed and fixed at no expense or inconvenience to me), I am delighted to drive this car. My favorite part is the handling -- the manauvering is smooth and easy. I have already hauled some furniture and other large items for my daughter who is moving to her first apartment -- and it is easy to fit things in and move out. My husband and I drove across the mountains in cold weather and it kept pace with or outperformed all the other vehicles on the road at all altitudes.