Used 2005 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Practical Car
By Adam Grey

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Even though I would have liked to get something a little sexier, this car is as practical of car you can get. Having it be a stick shift helped make the car fun to drive and also allowed for better acceleration than most standard V6 cars. Never did I have one mechanical issue in the 68,000 miles that I drove it and it really does excellent on gas being it is a 4 banger. I think if you buy this car you will get a bargain as if this had a Toyota symbol on it it would be $5,000 more! I believe this car is a smart buy for those who are concerned about fuel economy, cargo space, and price.

Fold down seats. Seat belt alert. 5 speed transmission. Cruise control

N/A

Not bad
By acceptable

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle Jan 06 after having a base Taurus. I like the zippyness I get from this 4cyl 5 speed. Gas mileage is great for an SUV at 27 hwy summer and 24 hwy winter here in MN. As read in other reviews can't stand the poor quality paint but to go along with design we do travel on some gravel roads and when wet or muddy the doors in the rear will get mud and dirt between them and the inside - my other vehicles never had this and I think this is terrible. I am quite conscious of this so I make sure to clean this area afterward because I don't want it to rust out before its time

Stereo sound, five speed transmission for fuel economy, and instrument panel looks are great

Filling gas tank, better door design to prevent dirt and mud between door and frame of vehicle, road noise

Ford Escape
By Heather

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love the size, look, gas mileage! However road noise is an issue. If it were not for that I would give it a perfect score. If Ford could decrease road noise this would compete with Honda CRV,and Toyota Rav 4 hands down. I looked at those too, but chose the Ford because of the economical price. However the road noise can be annoying. My husband is thinking about pulling up the carpet and putting down a noise pad to see if it helps. So, maybe ford could try that! I love the look and gas mileage and have had zero mechanincal issues and it has 80K miles on it now. I love the fact that there is no tire on the back..that is why I nixed the CRV and Rav 4.

Look, size, gas mileage. Simple AC buttons..no stupid computer lights to worry about. I hate all that fancy stuff that breaks and then costs a fortune to fix!

Road noise!

Love it!
By JHTKGT

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

When we got this car, I was worried that it felt to much like a truck, rather than a car. This actually wasn't an issue, since I got used to the new feel very fast (we had never owned an SUV before). It's very easy to handle and very comfortable. I love the leather seats, tinted windows and roof rack. It is perfect for us, since we travel a lot. I actually only have one major complaint: The gas tank. This one really irritates me! Every single time I try to fill it up, the nozzle clicks off, as if it's full (when it's completely empty). My husband said it's the gas fumes in the tank, but even when I let the fumes air out before pumping, it happens every time I squeeze the nozzle handle!

Love the style and the tan leather interior is beautiful. There is so much room and the back seats are very comfortable. I love how they are higher than the front seats so you can see out the windshield. The trunk space is huge and the sunroof is great! Very easy to handle and not too big!

Lots of creaking and rattling when driving at low speeds..like the plastic is loose or rubbing against each other. The gas tank! It takes much longer than it should to fill it up, because the gas nozzle keeps clicking off before the tank is full!

Cheap new car
By Cindy

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Initially, I really liked my 05 Escape. 20,000 miles later, I cant wait to get rid of it. There are lots of noises a car only a year old shouldn't make. The steering wheel and brake pedal whistle, the windows rattle, gas tank has air in it, making it next to impossible to get a full tank of gas. The drivers side window makes a screeching noise when you roll it down. Gas mileage is terrible! I like the size and style just fine. It is cheaply made. Noisy. I drove a 15 year old Honda that was not as noisy as this new car. I owe more than the car is worth at the moment, so I am stuck with it or face losing thousands. No more Fords for me.

Very roomy, stylish.

All the issues listed above can be fixed. The problem is the dealer. They look at you like you're crazy when you are trying to explain what is wrong. Ford techs are not real mechanics.