Used 2005 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 392 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I Love my Escapee!
By missg3

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this when married to a paraplegic whose wheelchair fit in the back without taking the seats down and my bicycle fits in the back, with seats folded down.

I have owned this car for just over nine years. driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions, only with recommended maintenance, tires and one battery.
This year the power steering pump was recommended for replacement; after 120,000 miles I think that's pretty good.The only thing that has failed is the sunroof motor.

It is a fun vehicle to own!
Whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, but still rugged.

Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

Overall appearance. Very roomy for driver, passengers and the rear space as well. Excellent gas mileage. Great suspension.

First Escape, not the last
By bnosay

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need.
Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back.
My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly
320 Miles to a tank. can't complain
188,000+ strong

AWD V6 Engine GAS MILEAGE!

Road noise is quite loud. suspension is a little rough.. you feel everything.

My first Ford and SUV
By dee_hayden

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx
in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

I love the cd/stereo. I'm happy it has AC and heat. I love the fog lights and the space. I love having a four door vehicle that is descent on gas. My first car was a truck and I missed having a truck. This makes me go back to my roots. Its great for trips. I just don't like leather seats unless they heat up. If ya get an Escape, make sure to get a one that is a V6, it'll be very dependable versus a 4cyl. When driving this vehicle, I feel like I'm driving a luxury car like a Honda or Mercedes.

needs Heated leather seats

It's not worth it. Run away.
By ih8ford2

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

Don't make such a POS and sell it for the price of a decent vehicle.

first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems.
the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd.
now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece,
that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the
beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700
at dealer.
now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow
air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

mpg

why put the ac lines runni.g to the rear for the HV battery outside, knowing if they get messed up, messes up the whole hybrid system!! should jave thought of a better cooling system.