2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Disappointed again
By Cheryl on 05/04/09 16:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2002 Escape at 38K mi. due to too many major repairs (torque converter, manifold, bearings, struts - to name a few) with a 2005 Escape with an extended warranty. After 3 months there was a leak in the gas line. At 60K mi. the torque converter and sunroof motor went up. Now at 65K mi. the ABS sensor went up ($700+ to repair). Sometimes I hear a crunching sound in the rear when I make turns or go over bumps. I have only done street/highway driving. All maintenance has been done on schedule by a Ford dealer. I will not buy another Ford.

Love it!
By Billabongguy on 11/18/08 18:11 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape when i was thinking about buying a Kia Sorrento. I decided on the Escape because it had better creature comforts, nicer interior, and a lot more power! That little 3.0 with 220hp is fast responsive and I love it. I love the Mach audio system with the sub in the back. It thumps hard.

Love it but room for a few improvements!
By Mary B. on 08/10/06 11:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive! My first SUV purchase after doing a lot of searching. I've not had a chance to try it out in snow yet, but like the AWD feature, one of the selling points. I prefer the exterior 'lines' of the Limited as opposed to the XLT or XLS. I don't care for that black/grey molding around those models. I think it detracts from the overall look of the Escape.

Excellent value, pleasant surprise
By Bridget on 06/26/06 09:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this vehicle about two years ago, very skeptical of Ford's build quality (coming off of a Subaru lease and before that a VW lease... both of which were plagued with crazy never ending mechanical and fit/finish problems). However, I was interested in going into a small SUV and this one seemed to be getting good reviews and I was able to get the upgrades I was interested in without paying through the nose. Now, two years later, I have to say my opinion of Ford vehicles has totally changed. This has been the most trouble-free vehicle I've owned in years, and it still looks nearly new inside. Mechanically, it's been flawless. And it's also been kind of fun (surprisingly) to drive.

This truck is Horrible!
By Mary on 03/05/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this Escape in May 2005 and in August began hearing a creaking noise coming from the back. This truck has been in the shop a few times for a total of 3 1/2 weeks; the mount needed work. I still hear creaking from the back, the window makes noise and the door creaks. This is the noisiest truck ever and I get 15 MPG! I am so sorry that I went from Nissan to Ford.

We're very satisfied with our Escape
By Escape on 01/13/06 10:39 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it for my wife and she likes how it looks, and the response when driving it is very good.

Bad Choice
By JerryG on 12/27/05 00:13 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After owning Toyotas for years, I decided to buy the Escape. Bad choice. The quality is so inferior to the Toyota, feels like it's going to fall apart. Tacky plastic parts. The leather seats are of low quality. Everything seems so cheap. The engines get up and go just isn't there. The gas mileage is terrible. This SUV lacks many of basic comfort and common sense features present in many other SUV's of similar size and price. Overall, it was a bad choice and will be traded in for a better SUV even though it's only a year old.

Not satisfied
By Joe on 11/09/05 20:48 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like the style and interior design of the vehicle, however, the performance is terrible. I'm almost afraid to enter highway traffic not to mention the gas mileage; it seems like as a four cylinder the use of gasoline would be terrific. I also have a six cylinder car that does better on gas. The vehicle sounds and feels like it constantly struggles.

She was right
By Larry on 09/20/05 00:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I originally was looking for a new F-150 to replace my 2001. When stepped on the lot we saw the Escapes and stopped to look. My wife said I should look into one to save on gas. She felt we only needed one big truck, that being our '03 Expedition. Even though I wanted a new F-150 I researched the Escape and the numbers looked good. I am a big guy (6'1" 270lbs) and I fit, not only in the front seats but in the back. This is my new commuter vehicle, I put almost 100k on my '01 F-150 in less than 4 years back and forth to work. I got great handling, I'm comfortable, get better gas mileage and I park it in a lot places I couldn't with my truck.

not worth the money
By dean hinderliter on 09/17/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Absolutely horrible gas mileage. 16.7 mpg best ever; this was interstate driving. Same trip with my Chevrolet V-8 engine we get over 18. Also Escape has a lot of road noise; it's much more pleasant to drive my pickup. No follow up on delivery problems, was delivered with no manuals - this was corrected - no cargo cover in rear - was supposed to get us one in May. We have checked back and still have no cargo cover. I am not happy with the vehicle and would trade it now if I could and it would not be a FORD ESCAPE. To use a strong word I hate the fuel economy of this vehicle and do not drive it any more then I have to because of fuel mileage and the road noise.