Used 2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

9 months in on 2005 V6 2wd
By invictarocks

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after a lot of research on Subaru Forrester, RAV4, Honda CRV and the Escape. I did some test drives, and the Forrester was the fastest and funnest, but a little small, and my buying decision came right after a bad experience with a Subaru dealership. The RAV4 seat was unbearable in the "fold down, kicking back" position, and sitting on the back with the hatch up was designed OUT of the model years I was looking at. I didn't like the way the RAV4 looked driving down the road from behind, as the rear suspension didn't inspire much confidence. I LOVE my Escape, and it's styling. The gas mileage was a little disappointing at 20.

MACH stereo is really good; fold flat rear seats are great, and the V6 has more than enough power. Seems faster than the later (heavier?) models with the 240hp.

They've taken care of the two biggest complaints, which were the transmission and the Gas fill triggering some pumps to shut off prematurely.

Mixed bag
By Missouri owner

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very comfortable with a smooth as silk ride. Mileage is decent. Room for 4 with comfort. Very sharp eye appeal. Its my second Escape and the resale is very good. Very good acceleration. Oh yeah, there is one big problem. This vehicle squeaks and rattles like it is about to fall apart. Don't seem to be able to get it fixed.

Acceleration great. Looks sharp. Good resale. Plenty of room for four and comfortable on long trips.

Squeaks and rattles like its 10 years old.

Outstanding small SUV
By Brian

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased this vehicle with the safety canopy and our first child on the way. This car feels solid and is a blast to drive. The 3.0 liter engine is outstanding for car of this size and weight and the transmission, although a 4 speed has been smooth and feels well matched.

Exterior looks, smooth ride, great power, solid build and feel.

Padding on the door arm rests!

Escape
By Mary Jo

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun car to drive. Very comfortable. Just the right size for me.

I like the looks of the Escape. Think it looks sporty. I also like the more squareness of a SUV, car etc.

Gas mileage. Would like the front console to come up a little closer since I like to rest my arm on that. I miss having my headlights come on automatically. Back lift door takes too much of a push to close. I find when I get in the car the light comes on that it is still open.

The Best SUV
By ALYSIA

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV handles great. The interior is nice and comfortable. Great car to take on a long trip. Excellent stereo system. It comes with an 8 inch amp and 6 cd changer and satellite ready. Back seats lay completely down for a large cargo area. All in all the best vehicle I have ever purchased.

Stereo system and comfortable interior.