2005 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Very Dependable!
By Fred Reno on 01/29/10 20:14 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

Crappy Sun Visor
By Wojo on 08/26/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Although almost everything on my Escape Hybrid is great I have had problems with the sun visors since I bought it. On the driver's side, where I need it the most, it has come loose and had to be replaced about once every two years! As it is no longer under warranty it is about $100 to do this, which is in itself outrageous. Although I like the vehicle, if Ford can not fix this I will be looking into a different vehicle. I refuse to pay this for a problem that has been identified by many and not fixed.

I love it
By Tom on 05/05/09 08:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten on 01/09/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

Great SUV
By bill lee on 12/08/08 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looked far and wide for a 4 cyl/5 speed FWD. This is a great drivetrain. Have gotten 31 MPG several times. Overall I get 28+MPG on my mostly highway commute. Snow is no problem with FWD. I run good snow tires and have had no problems even in deep snow. Not as good as my old jeep but never got stuck. Get the 05 and up vs the 04 if you can. Much better interior design and the bigger 2.3 motor gives better performance and fuel milage. Looked at the Toyota and Honda, but were much more expensive and much smaller. My son is 6'3" and fits in the back with no problems. Also no $300-500 timing belt to worry about on these cars. Has been very reliable. 60,000 miles and no problems what so ever.

Practical Car
By Adam Grey on 09/23/08 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Even though I would have liked to get something a little sexier, this car is as practical of car you can get. Having it be a stick shift helped make the car fun to drive and also allowed for better acceleration than most standard V6 cars. Never did I have one mechanical issue in the 68,000 miles that I drove it and it really does excellent on gas being it is a 4 banger. I think if you buy this car you will get a bargain as if this had a Toyota symbol on it it would be $5,000 more! I believe this car is a smart buy for those who are concerned about fuel economy, cargo space, and price.

Not bad
By acceptable on 07/07/08 06:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle Jan 06 after having a base Taurus. I like the zippyness I get from this 4cyl 5 speed. Gas mileage is great for an SUV at 27 hwy summer and 24 hwy winter here in MN. As read in other reviews can't stand the poor quality paint but to go along with design we do travel on some gravel roads and when wet or muddy the doors in the rear will get mud and dirt between them and the inside - my other vehicles never had this and I think this is terrible. I am quite conscious of this so I make sure to clean this area afterward because I don't want it to rust out before its time

Ford Escape
By Heather on 11/24/07 04:43 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love the size, look, gas mileage! However road noise is an issue. If it were not for that I would give it a perfect score. If Ford could decrease road noise this would compete with Honda CRV,and Toyota Rav 4 hands down. I looked at those too, but chose the Ford because of the economical price. However the road noise can be annoying. My husband is thinking about pulling up the carpet and putting down a noise pad to see if it helps. So, maybe ford could try that! I love the look and gas mileage and have had zero mechanincal issues and it has 80K miles on it now. I love the fact that there is no tire on the back..that is why I nixed the CRV and Rav 4.

Love it!
By JHTKGT on 04/11/07 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

When we got this car, I was worried that it felt to much like a truck, rather than a car. This actually wasn't an issue, since I got used to the new feel very fast (we had never owned an SUV before). It's very easy to handle and very comfortable. I love the leather seats, tinted windows and roof rack. It is perfect for us, since we travel a lot. I actually only have one major complaint: The gas tank. This one really irritates me! Every single time I try to fill it up, the nozzle clicks off, as if it's full (when it's completely empty). My husband said it's the gas fumes in the tank, but even when I let the fumes air out before pumping, it happens every time I squeeze the nozzle handle!

Cheap new car
By Cindy on 06/22/06 15:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Initially, I really liked my 05 Escape. 20,000 miles later, I cant wait to get rid of it. There are lots of noises a car only a year old shouldn't make. The steering wheel and brake pedal whistle, the windows rattle, gas tank has air in it, making it next to impossible to get a full tank of gas. The drivers side window makes a screeching noise when you roll it down. Gas mileage is terrible! I like the size and style just fine. It is cheaply made. Noisy. I drove a 15 year old Honda that was not as noisy as this new car. I owe more than the car is worth at the moment, so I am stuck with it or face losing thousands. No more Fords for me.