Used 2005 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Rusty SUV, But Good
By jfohl

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV last winter with 100k miles on it. Took it to my mechanic to get all the filters, fluids changed, who found rust holes in rear passenger inner wheelwell that compromised the strut and safety of vehicle. Fixed that, and took all the plastic cladding off exposing more rust than I've ever seen. Driven 20k miles and no real mechanical problems except the exhaust needs replaced. Very simple interior compared to new vehicles. AWD system is excellent. I get 20mpg. 3.0 engine may have been powerful 10 years ago, but its relatively slow compared to today's SUV standards. These are great deals if you are looking for an AWD vehicle.

Favorite Features

I like the box styling and simple interior layout. The leather interior cleans up nicely. It drives like a car but you feel like you're in a truck. The AWD is automatic and gave me no problems driving through several snowstorms. Its pretty compact and easy to park. Mechanics are familiar with them so repairs are cheaper compared to other makes.

Suggested Improvements

Address the rust issues. Its everywhere on these vehicles. If you ignore the rust, you will have huge problems. The rear seats are a pain to fold down and back up. If I was buying a used Escape again I would avoid 2005 models because of the known wheel well defect. If its not fixed early, it can be a very expensive fix.

Rust Issues
By alexm80

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 Ford Escape off of craigslist knowing full well that it came with rust issues. At the time we bought it, the rust looked to be only cosmetic. But about after about 10 months, the rear right wheel well began to rust through and then rust away. Some of inner portion of the wheel well was gone and you could see the material used to line the inside of the vehicle. As a result, the rear right shock was barely hanging on and every time you hit a bump just right, there was a very loud popping sound coming from the area. Quotes to fix it were between $700 and $1600.

Favorite Features

Previous owners installed a DVD player, but it kinda messed up the electrical system and the lights the were supposed to light up when the headlights were turned on, no longer did.

Suggested Improvements

Rust was an issue, so I suggest a material/treatment that can with stand tough Wisconsin winters and salted roads.

Too many things gone wrong
By johnny_canuck

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in August 2012 with roughly 70k miles, here's what has gone wrong: - one tie rod, other is now in need of replacing - hole in exhaust - fuel pump - spark plugs - front brakes now need replace - transmission is clunking In not even two years, ugh. It cannot handle the 3,500 lbs it says it can, bad mileage, just awful.

keeps on ticking...
By rebel16

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

176,000 miles plus..still a daily commuter, just lost the A/C compressor, that is the only major thing since I bought it in april 2005...other wise has preformed flawlessly

I Love my Escapee!
By missg3

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this when married to a paraplegic whose wheelchair fit in the back without taking the seats down and my bicycle fits in the back, with seats folded down. I have owned this car for just over nine years. driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions, only with recommended maintenance, tires and one battery. This year the power steering pump was recommended for replacement; after 120,000 miles I think that's pretty good.The only thing that has failed is the sunroof motor. It is a fun vehicle to own! Whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, but still rugged. Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

Favorite Features

Overall appearance. Very roomy for driver, passengers and the rear space as well. Excellent gas mileage. Great suspension.