2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745 on 04/17/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

Our Ford Escape Hybrid
By McCollums on 09/23/06 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is just fun to ride in, drive... we like knowing it is helping the environment... and our wallets. Please keep making them Ford! We also got a Kermit sticker for it, and people love them and remember the commercials.

Owner of second hybrid
By Robert A Harrington on 11/20/05 10:42 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our second hybrid car. Our first hybrid is a Honda Civic. The electric only propulsion mode takes a little coaxing to get the car to shift into it. If you are already in gasoline mode you need coast down from 35 till the car shifts over to electric then continue. You can be in electric mode up to 29 MPH. If you desire to startup from a stop in electric do not gun the engine but rather ease it into acceleration. Otherwise it will promptly start in gas mode to ensure you have the power you demand. The leather interior makes for a very comfortable ride. Well worth the investment. Made sure your dealer has a trained mechanic available, ours dealer does not always have one.

Little touches make the difference
By Sharon on 11/09/05 12:34 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a 2006 Hybrid FWD in November. I have been VERY impressed (as a former Mercedes owner) with the vehicle. Rides great, leather seats are good quality, cruise is very easy to use. The heated mirrors (did not have on the Benz) are a nice touch. The dealer came down only a little on the price ($1.600) but the car is worth it. The mileage is not yet that great - averaged 28 MPG between Santa Barbara and San Francisco, and around 30 around town. But I understand I need to learn to drive differently. At 75 mph, mileage drops considerably to 26-28 mpg. At 65, results are closer to Ford's posted 31 mpg. NAV system is a little disappointing, tho GPS positioning is a great touch.

Escape Hybrid
By jknaul on 09/21/05 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Combined city/highway driving, I am averaging 32 miles/gallon. In city I have averaged about 35 miles to the gallon. This is more than I expected, even with its rating of 36 city, 31 Highway.

Love it
By mcjones on 09/21/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first truck I have ever owned so it is hard for me to compare a non-HEV truck to this one. I have been very impressed with the gas mileage and performance. I am averaging 33 mpg combined driving in the summer and 26 mpg combined driving in the winter. The mechanism that switches from full electric to hybrid when accelerating from a stop is very impressive. It is as seamless as could possibly be expected. I am not a very fast driver but I can report that this vehicle accelerates very slowly compared with previous cars that I have owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to use less gasoline and can afford the extra cost of the hybrid vs. standard Escape.

I'm disappointed
By Wendy on 09/13/05 23:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I thought I was buying a fun economical vehicle. It is not getting the mileage I had hoped. Several items have come apart or do not work as well as they should. I don't like the dash board styling. I wish Ford had offered some helpful live hints about how to drive it for its best economy. (They have offered now). Also, you HAVE to be sure to keep the maintenance up and I'm worried about the cost of a replacement battery when mine dies. Also, the leather seats are only partially covered.

Car is a gas hog!
By Fran on 08/12/05 20:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'd hoped to come close to the sticker advertised MPG rating but so far, can't come close. I am not a hot rodder, but a 76 year old female who drives to drive the posted speed limit, city or highway and don't dig out at stop signs. The last fill up I got 17.95--not anywhere near the 33 or 29 MPG as advertised. I wished I had kept my 2000 Sable, as I got 24 MPG with that and did not have to sit in a furnace at a stop light unless I turn on the Max Air which turn on the engine. I have conferred with the dealer two times, the last time they said I should try PREMIUM GASOLINE!!! I bought this vehicle for economy not to break my budget. Is anyone else out there getting this bad gasoline mileage?

2005 Escape Hybrid
By Mary Manley on 07/26/05 12:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very nice car for the price range with WONDERFUL gas mileage. I drive 100+ miles per day, mostly highway, and my average miles per gallon is now 36.2.

Moderate Enthusiasm for Escape Hybrid
By Jean on 06/19/05 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I now have 5000 miles on my Escape hybrid. Gas mileage is great (about 33 combined) but vehicle seems plasticy. Seats are very uncomfortable, interior cheap plastic throughout. Lots of rattles. Amenities available are few. Air conditioning system needs improved engineering. It handles well though and is agile. Fairly smooth ride for a small SUV. For the cost it should be a nicer, smoother vehicle that seems stable and well built - so I have some disappointment.