2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3 on 05/23/13 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems. the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd. now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece, that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700 at dealer. now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745 on 04/17/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

Our Ford Escape Hybrid
By McCollums on 09/23/06 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is just fun to ride in, drive... we like knowing it is helping the environment... and our wallets. Please keep making them Ford! We also got a Kermit sticker for it, and people love them and remember the commercials.

'05 Escape Hybrid
By 5hybrid on 01/25/06 08:19 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Been a great vehicle. Much better than the '04 Escape I replaced it with. No problems so far. Going to purchase a second one for my daughter.

Owner of second hybrid
By Robert A Harrington on 11/20/05 10:42 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our second hybrid car. Our first hybrid is a Honda Civic. The electric only propulsion mode takes a little coaxing to get the car to shift into it. If you are already in gasoline mode you need coast down from 35 till the car shifts over to electric then continue. You can be in electric mode up to 29 MPH. If you desire to startup from a stop in electric do not gun the engine but rather ease it into acceleration. Otherwise it will promptly start in gas mode to ensure you have the power you demand. The leather interior makes for a very comfortable ride. Well worth the investment. Made sure your dealer has a trained mechanic available, ours dealer does not always have one.

Little touches make the difference
By Sharon on 11/09/05 12:34 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a 2006 Hybrid FWD in November. I have been VERY impressed (as a former Mercedes owner) with the vehicle. Rides great, leather seats are good quality, cruise is very easy to use. The heated mirrors (did not have on the Benz) are a nice touch. The dealer came down only a little on the price ($1.600) but the car is worth it. The mileage is not yet that great - averaged 28 MPG between Santa Barbara and San Francisco, and around 30 around town. But I understand I need to learn to drive differently. At 75 mph, mileage drops considerably to 26-28 mpg. At 65, results are closer to Ford's posted 31 mpg. NAV system is a little disappointing, tho GPS positioning is a great touch.

Great SUV, Hybrid or Not
By Phillip B on 11/08/05 08:45 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Ford Escape Hybrid for about 6 months now and have driven it in all conditions - plus a coupe of trips - one from Atlanta to NYC and back. Got great gas mileage and the Nav system worked without a hitch (we affectionately call our Nav system 'Dora'). Just keep the cruise on 55 for the best freeway driving and change your driving habits to get stay on electric power as much as possible in intown traffic.

Escape Hybrid
By jknaul on 09/21/05 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Combined city/highway driving, I am averaging 32 miles/gallon. In city I have averaged about 35 miles to the gallon. This is more than I expected, even with its rating of 36 city, 31 Highway.

Love it
By mcjones on 09/21/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first truck I have ever owned so it is hard for me to compare a non-HEV truck to this one. I have been very impressed with the gas mileage and performance. I am averaging 33 mpg combined driving in the summer and 26 mpg combined driving in the winter. The mechanism that switches from full electric to hybrid when accelerating from a stop is very impressive. It is as seamless as could possibly be expected. I am not a very fast driver but I can report that this vehicle accelerates very slowly compared with previous cars that I have owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking to use less gasoline and can afford the extra cost of the hybrid vs. standard Escape.

My first year in my Escape Hybrid
By Michael Bares on 09/20/05 15:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After a shaky start in my Ford Escape Hybrid I'm now pleased with my purchase. I knew that the gas prices would soar this year and wanted to be the first in Denver to have one so I found mine on eBay and flew to NJ to pick it up. I must say that Ford did respond quickly to some major trouble in the beginning -- my entire high voltage battery module had to be replaced after a couple of months and they did take care of it. Now I find the vehicle is running beautifully and fuel economy has improved to around 30mpg combined city/highway. The only misgiving I have now is having gotten a personalized plate (B-GREEN) Too many people want to talk to me in traffic and even some take pictures.