2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Rusty SUV, But Good
By jfohl on 10/04/14 21:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV last winter with 100k miles on it. Took it to my mechanic to get all the filters, fluids changed, who found rust holes in rear passenger inner wheelwell that compromised the strut and safety of vehicle. Fixed that, and took all the plastic cladding off exposing more rust than I've ever seen. Driven 20k miles and no real mechanical problems except the exhaust needs replaced. Very simple interior compared to new vehicles. AWD system is excellent. I get 20mpg. 3.0 engine may have been powerful 10 years ago, but its relatively slow compared to today's SUV standards. These are great deals if you are looking for an AWD vehicle.

Rust Issues
By alexm80 on 08/24/14 06:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2005 Ford Escape off of craigslist knowing full well that it came with rust issues. At the time we bought it, the rust looked to be only cosmetic. But about after about 10 months, the rear right wheel well began to rust through and then rust away. Some of inner portion of the wheel well was gone and you could see the material used to line the inside of the vehicle. As a result, the rear right shock was barely hanging on and every time you hit a bump just right, there was a very loud popping sound coming from the area. Quotes to fix it were between $700 and $1600.

First Escape, not the last
By bnosay on 04/25/14 13:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need. Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back. My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly 320 Miles to a tank. can't complain 188,000+ strong

It's not worth it. Run away.
By ih8ford2 on 07/08/13 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

Gas Tank
By jerod on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently switched from a 2003 Explorer to the 05 Escape and although I really loved and miss the Explorer, I think the Escape is great. The only thing that really pisses me off every time is when the gas hose shuts off. I should be able to start the gas and walk away. I live in Wisconsin. It's cold. Come on! Other than that I love it :)

Time to get rid of
By ejbjb on 01/18/10 21:25 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love my Escape. 2 problems...brake routers warp and need turning or replacement frequently. 121000km and the engine has died. Will replace with a newer Escape. Reliable, great cargo hauling, good basic transportation.

great so far....just got it a month ago
By lotekgirl on 12/14/09 10:59 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '01 Intrepid for this '05 Escape. So far my husband and I are very pleased with it. This vehicle is great if you are looking to step up to your first SUV from a car. The Escape is very responsive; it drives and handles great. I agree with other reviewers about filling the gas tank: it is annoying because you can't just put the nozzle in, lock it in place and walk away. It always clicks off a few seconds later so I have to stand there and hold it, which I never had to do with my car. The gas mileage on the v6 isn't that great. I'm constantly filling my gas tank (city driving about 90% of the time). the ignition could have been more well placed (odd spot, have to search).

A Welcome Escape
By Rod Minnesota on 10/15/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As of October 2009, my wife has 153,000 miles on her 2005 Escape. She loves the vehicle and I appreciate its relatively low cost of ownership. Only repair that we have had has been two door latches replaced - not sure why they are plastic.

Cool little small SUV
By Darren on 01/29/06 19:44 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice small SUV. Good power with V6. Handle like a car, taut but compliant suspension. Very maneuverable with tight turning radius. Bright fog lights. Comfortable and roomy for its small size. It's a lot of car for your money. The 2005 redesign looks much improved over previous model years. Cool wheels. Like my shifter on the console. XLT package comes nicely equipped. Mileage is within range, 22-23 on highway. Now I wish I've gotten a sunroof.

went back for a second one
By Terence&Lori Keith on 01/08/06 05:44 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Escape. Our 2002 model XLT was flawless and it fit our needs perfectly on the back roads of VT. We found that it held value and wanted to try the new model with the intelligent 4WD system . So far it has been excellent, great on all types of road conditions, spacious cabin and a car like feeling driving it. As of this review I look forward to another improved Escape in the future.