2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
keeps on ticking...
By rebel16 on 07/12/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

176,000 miles plus..still a daily commuter, just lost the A/C compressor, that is the only major thing since I bought it in april 2005...other wise has preformed flawlessly

Don't bother with the base 4 cylinder
By bsumorgan on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I got a job where I needed to carry stuff for work and I also needed to haul our small family around in the winter. The ford escape seemed like a perfect fit. It drove well enough, but the 4 cylinder is just plain lethargic. At low gears it's all right, but in second and third, well, you had better not be making emergency maneuvers. The arm rests are hard and unforgiving. I didn't like the position of the seats relative to the floor. The 4WD, however, was FANTASTIC! I could drive like a complete idiot on snow and ice, and it didn't matter. Ford AWD is much better than the AWD that I had in the Saturn Vue I bought after owning this. My advice: get the nicer trim level with the 6 cyl and 4wd.

Nice truck
By SUVguy on 06/03/10 10:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in October of 04 with 13,000 miles on it. Thus far only one major repair which was the ignition module around 40,000 miles. Other than that just normal wear and tear (water pump, serpentine belt etc). Overall very pleased with the performance and reliability. Just hit the 110,000 mile mark.

Bad Plugs
By Bill on 05/08/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

For the first five years car has been great. Not happy with interior. Upholstery wearing out much to soon. What really steams me is that at 38000 miles the plugs, coils and power module have just gone out. With this mileage I can't believe it. I have been a loyal Ford BUT!

Head and shoulders above small SUVs
By Higheriq on 09/08/05 20:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Wanting something other than my old F150 for better gas mileage, and wanting 4WD, I had looked at a Toyota RAV4, Subaru Outback, and the Escape. Feature for feature, the Escape had the others beat. What sealed the deal was the price. The gas mileage with the Escape, equipped this way, is one of the very few vehicles which gets BETTER gas mileage than the EPA estimates. The ride is firm, controlled, and quiet (even at interstate speeds). The interior appointments give me more features than I will ever use. Strong air conditioner, great 4WD system, and more than ample power even with the 4 cylinder. The choice was obvious.

not for off road
By ZACK on 09/08/05 01:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

i took my Escape to the ranch and the road was, as usual, muddy and thick. It performed great, but it seemed to slow down further when I took it out to test it with water... it almost failed me. It slowed down dramatically and it just about let me down. It still works; I rely on it on road with little bit of a puddle ... it still scares me to take against nature's worst.

One Year Later
By AdirondackTrek on 08/07/05 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After almost one year of driving this great little SUV I'm as happy now as when it was first purchased. More than enough power with the 4 cylinder automatic if you drive sensibly and average gas mileage is around 23 MPG. Highest MPG on a trip was 28.5 which I think is good for an SUV of any size. As far as handling, it is crisp and stable enough that we were able to avoid being hit by someone who wasn't paying attention by doing a rather radical swerve that convinced me some of the stability issues brought up are unfounded. It is a safe, fun vehicle to drive that has caused no problems and was a pleasure to drive on our sometimes unplowed winter roads during the last year. Cargo space galore.

so far so good
By stumagoo on 06/29/05 11:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Not that much of a downgrade (roomwise) from my Explorer Sport. Handles good, blast package worth the money for the sound system. Not tons of power but knew that was an issue before buying (better on gas). Average 20-21 mpg with 24 being the best with just over 3000 miles on vehicle.

Pretty Good Little SUV
By Tink7796 on 06/28/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle handles very well in the snow and in the everyday around town driving. However it is VERY VERY VERY sluggish on the highway or going up hills. Also the cruise control is not very good (you will either go 5 mph under or 5 mph over where you have the cruise control set). If you are looking for a vehicle to commute in, TRY THE 6 cylinder or another vehicle all together! If you are looking for a cheap, reliable SUV to get around town in, this is the one for you.

By Bob on 05/23/05 17:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent handling. Plenty of power, especially in the snow. Responsive vehicle.