Used 2005 Ford Escape HEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

This car is super easy to to put the back seats down, and is rather roomy for a small SUV. I've hauled just about everything in this car. 6 disc cd player! But there is no mp3 outlet which is a huge bummer. Amazing gas mileage for a small SUV. Driving mostly on the freeway I get on average 30mpg. I've taken 2 long road trips over 1200 miles now and having gas mileage that good is amazing. The screen on the dash tells you how many miles you can go with the amount of gas you have, and once you get down to 50 miles, it beeps and tells you. I love yelling at people for not wearing a seatbelt, now my car does it for me. If the person in the front seat isn't buckled up the car beeps.

The 2005 hybrid can only go up to about 25-30 mph on the battery. The newer Escape hybrid models are far more advanced. If you can afford to dish out a few extra bucks on a newer model, you'll save even more money on gas. But for the price of the 2005 model, you get a good amount of bang for your buck and it's well worth what you pay.

Our Ford Escape Hybrid
By McCollums

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is just fun to ride in, drive... we like knowing it is helping the environment... and our wallets. Please keep making them Ford! We also got a Kermit sticker for it, and people love them and remember the commercials.

The hybrid part.. the silent run!

Try to make it less expensive so more can afford it...have a Kermit sticker people can put on it!

Owner of second hybrid
By Robert A Harrington

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our second hybrid car. Our first hybrid is a Honda Civic. The electric only propulsion mode takes a little coaxing to get the car to shift into it. If you are already in gasoline mode you need coast down from 35 till the car shifts over to electric then continue. You can be in electric mode up to 29 MPH. If you desire to startup from a stop in electric do not gun the engine but rather ease it into acceleration. Otherwise it will promptly start in gas mode to ensure you have the power you demand. The leather interior makes for a very comfortable ride. Well worth the investment. Made sure your dealer has a trained mechanic available, ours dealer does not always have one.

The mileage remaining calculator and the MPG calculator. Great stereo system. All fluids are easily checked.

A little wider interior compartment. It seems a bit cramped compared with my 1992 Explorer.

Little touches make the difference
By Sharon

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a 2006 Hybrid FWD in November. I have been VERY impressed (as a former Mercedes owner) with the vehicle. Rides great, leather seats are good quality, cruise is very easy to use. The heated mirrors (did not have on the Benz) are a nice touch. The dealer came down only a little on the price ($1.600) but the car is worth it. The mileage is not yet that great - averaged 28 MPG between Santa Barbara and San Francisco, and around 30 around town. But I understand I need to learn to drive differently. At 75 mph, mileage drops considerably to 26-28 mpg. At 65, results are closer to Ford's posted 31 mpg. NAV system is a little disappointing, tho GPS positioning is a great touch.

Leather seats, heated seats, mileage graphs easy to read, heated side mirrors, solid feel.

Better mileage, more futuristic dash, temp gauge, non-CD driven nav system (use Bluetooth to connect to internet), traffic alerts.

Escape Hybrid
By jknaul

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Combined city/highway driving, I am averaging 32 miles/gallon. In city I have averaged about 35 miles to the gallon. This is more than I expected, even with its rating of 36 city, 31 Highway.

Navigation System, Fuel monitoring system.

Rear seat fold down is a little difficult.