2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
I Love my Escapee!
By missg3 on 05/27/14 17:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this when married to a paraplegic whose wheelchair fit in the back without taking the seats down and my bicycle fits in the back, with seats folded down. I have owned this car for just over nine years. driven in all kinds of weather and road conditions, only with recommended maintenance, tires and one battery. This year the power steering pump was recommended for replacement; after 120,000 miles I think that's pretty good.The only thing that has failed is the sunroof motor. It is a fun vehicle to own! Whips in and out of parking spaces, turns easily, but still rugged. Not my first Ford, but definitely my most favorite!

First Escape, not the last
By bnosay on 04/25/14 13:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 05 XLT AWD for 5 years now and only ever had problems with coil packs going bad. I think it's a great little SUV that has just enough room for my family plus the dog and any luggage we need. Seats stain somewhat easily but overall quality I give it a 9 out of 10. There are some design flaws like the rear seat headrests that cause terrible blind spots. but other than that, nothing major. Its small enough to whip into parking spaces and maneuver yet big enough that everyone is seated comfortably up front and room in the back. My favorite - gas mileage. no one believes me but I get 23-24 MPG on a regular basis. Roughly 320 Miles to a tank. can't complain 188,000+ strong

My first Ford and SUV
By dee_hayden on 03/12/14 05:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4x4 Sportx in 2013 at Oak Motors. I had a 94' Pontiac Grand Prix prior to that, but had to trade it in due a oil leak. I was going outta state to Wisconsin and needed the extra space. It's been a great vehicle. I've had it for a year now and all I've done is changed the oil in it. It's roomy. Drives smooth. It's comfortable. I've even slept in it on a occasion. It does well on gas too. It has more features than my old car does which I love. It's the first SUV I've ever had. And its my first Ford. If I were to ever trade it in for something else, I'd probably another one.

It's not worth it. Run away.
By ih8ford2 on 07/08/13 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have ever made in my life. Have had nothing but MAJOR problems with this car. it's always one thing after another. I have owned this car for less than 5 years. After my spark plugs and coils went then it was the transmission. After that it was the catalytic converter, and after that the ABS. The final straw came last night when I was driving home from work and the alternator had apparently gone out. now I'm driving 70 on the highway when all power goes out, my power steering seized up and I have to fight for my life to get this junk of crap off the road without killing anyone. Never buying a ford again. Complete and total POS.

first time hybrid not so well
By mrblue3 on 05/23/13 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

bought the car only six months ago and its running in to problems. the first couple months it ran awesome what i expected, good mpg for a suv with awd. now the cooling system for the HV battery is falling apart piece by piece, that seems to be just one of fords flaw with the beginning years of the escape hybrid. first it was the cooling fans the whole kit actually, parts plus labor about 700 at dealer. now the blend door actuator is not opening to allow air in to cool the battery. from what i was told by another diagnostic the ac is not working proplery, had that diagnosed and the rear ac line going to the battery is punctered. cant wait to trade it in for a fusion hybrid

New to me
By tulareave on 04/24/13 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2005 Ford Escape XLT, and so far it has been great! I have had to have a few things replaced but that's to be expected at 85000 plus miles. The negative is the road noise! Wholy cow, I am looking for tires to help lessen it. I wish it had a few more bells and whistles but for me right now it seems to be working out just fine. I have for the most part only purchased fords Im hoping this one does not disappoint. Hoping to get the 2013 eventually. I

The best car I've ever owned
By smashley745 on 04/17/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car. If you are looking for a more "roomy" car that gets great gas mileage this is it. I get about 30mpg on average driving mostly on the freeway. The seats are super easy to put down, my sister and I have gone camping and slept in the back of my car rather comfortably. If you have never owned a hybrid car it can be rather eerie because it is so quiet, I can't tell you how many times I've panicked at stop lights thinking my car had died when I first bought it. Down sides: When your heat is on and the car goes to battery it blows cool air, Not fun in the dead of winter. Does NOT have a outlet to plug in an mp3 player. But overall, I love this car.

planning a long trip
By leavingjersey on 03/22/13 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape in 2010 from Ford dealership in Mount Holly,New Jersey; the minute I took it home I had problems with the censors. Called Dealership and after much heated discussion they repaired it. Mileage is about 21 mpg. Should have inspected the undercarriage better. Found lots of rust. After living in New Jersey and driving in snow and ice, which we have plenty of, I'm planning to drive to San Antonio, Texas. I'm a little nervous to attempt the trip. Will update after my arrival in Texas.

Ford Escape purchased brand new
By kyleservice on 05/10/12 17:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We picked up this Ford Escape new in 2005. So far in 2012, it has about 72,000 miles on it, with absolutely zero problems so far. (Well, I did have to replace the battery this spring.) This SUV still has the same tires, same brakes, same exhaust system. I've looked at the front and rear brakes, they look like they'll go many more miles before needing replacement. We might have to replace the tires this fall, this is Wisconsin, and we do have snow around here.

Do not buy this junk!
By maxout06 on 09/24/11 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Escape XLT with 78,000 on the odometer. Good price and the thing looked cherry. After driving it for a couple months, the OBD light came on and it started misfiring. After a little research, I found out Ford used sub-standard parts to build this model. The ignition coils burn out the drivers in the ECM at about 100,000 miles. Well past warranty stage. Ford knew of this and sent a memo to dealers on what to look for if the code P0351 was showing. A repair that costs average $1,500. The worst thing is since this issue took place after market, the only ECM's left are used or reman. This is the reason people are buying Asian cars more. Ford, you people are crooks.