Transmission problems too soon
By Jeanne on
2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my Ford Escape new and enjoyed it for several years without a problem other then usual maintenance. Then at 84,000 miles the transmission went out and cost me $2400 to replace and one month later it died on the freeway, towed again, the pcv tube rotted $585. Not reliable after that. The car shakes unexpectedly and then goes away, sun roof locks up, noises underneath among other things. Should have gone more then 84,000 before replacing a transmission. Would not buy another one. Currently have 113,000 on it and looking to replace it before winter weather.
Favorite Features
Size of the vehicle, turns tight.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission needs to be fixed. Sunroof locks up so I don't open it anymore. Longer warranty issued to support the cost of repairs.
By ohiodale
on 04/11/12 10:14 AM (PDT)

Did you ever replace the transmission fluid? Most people do not. I have an Escape with 87K on it and so far it runs perfect but I have always changed the oil, I have changed and flushed out the cooling system, I changed the brake fluid, and I drain and add new transmission fluid every couple of years.