Used 2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 275 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

not worth the money
By unhappy

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The problems I have with this vehicle are... the windows always have grit in them, the sun visor always comes off the clip, the car is the most uncomfortable vehicle to take road trips in, and the overall quality of the vehicle is just not what I expected for the money I paid. I would not buy another one. I guess this is what I get for straying from Honda.

4WD.

Too many to list.

Love this SUV, would recommend to anyone!
By happy customer

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and have never had any problems, just regular maintenance, still going strong. Hope to get a lot more miles out of the car, now has 87,000 miles, maybe get 200,000?

Plenty of room, powerful engine, gas mileage 25 to 26 mpg highway. Fun to drive.

Quiet the road noise. Would like to have the gear shifter on the floor, ours is an automatic.

Same problem for 4 years now
By james

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It has a low maintenence record. I have had a intermittent problem since I have owned it. I am the only owner of this vehicle. It has occasionally shut off when shifting to reverse from another gear. It occasionally shuts off while driving down the road. It starts back up when you restart it. It did this under warranty. It first did it 3 days after owning it. The dealership has never diagnosed the problem. This is a major safety issue which is making me question Ford's quality control and service practices. No need to buy an extended warranty with this one. They cannot fix it while its under factory warranty. Fun to drive when it does not do this.

Fun to drive for minor off road adventures. This is not a Jeep but it does handle well off road. I do not have the 4x4 model but I have not got this stuck on dry land either.

Fix the shutting off problem with my vehicle. It did it in the shop but they did not have the test equipment on it when it died. 4 years later i still deal with this issue. Ford needs to inspect wiring before completing the vehicle for sale. This is possibly my vehicles issue but I'm not totally sure

Dangerous
By Mariah Lemaster

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this truck. Unfortunately I was going down the interstate and the balljoint gave out, flipping us three times. We are lucky to be alive. the truck only had 41,000 miles. Also had to replace the wiring harness at 38,000 miles.

Small exterior, big interior

Better choices available
By LG

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a dealer's demo with 4,000 miles and the truck performed pretty good mechanically. Needed tires at 32,000 miles. The ride was very noisy with a lot of wind noise and road noise. After 30,000 miles the ride was very rough and the truck was all over the road on bumpy roads. I recently bought my wife a Kia Sportage and that vehicle runs rings around the excape as far as comfort, ride and standard features although the Excape does have a more powerful engine. There are better choices in this price range.

6 CD stereo, moonroof, design

Larger fuel tank, better tires, road noise reduction