Used 2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Better choices available
By LG

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a dealer's demo with 4,000 miles and the truck performed pretty good mechanically. Needed tires at 32,000 miles. The ride was very noisy with a lot of wind noise and road noise. After 30,000 miles the ride was very rough and the truck was all over the road on bumpy roads. I recently bought my wife a Kia Sportage and that vehicle runs rings around the excape as far as comfort, ride and standard features although the Excape does have a more powerful engine. There are better choices in this price range.

6 CD stereo, moonroof, design

Larger fuel tank, better tires, road noise reduction

Had problems
By Rob

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased my 2004 Escape LTD in Feb. 2004. Two years later, at 20,000 miles, the car had a "complete failure of the transmission" (the dealership's words). The whole transmission had to be replaced. I have also had problems with the sun roof not opening correctly. Also, sometimes when I start the car the treble on the radio comes on but not the bass, and I have to restart the car to get the radio to work correctly. Plus, in cold weather the driver window squeaks horribly when you roll it up/down. I owned a 2001 Escape for three years and loved it so much I went back for the 2004 LTD. The problems I've had with it, especially with the transmission, have soured me to Fords.

Size, body style, ease of driving.

Build a better transmission!

Ford
By nkw1013

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle for my wife three years ago. Vehicle has not had any problems. Just routine maintenance and fuel, no complaints.

Heated seats, excellent in winter.

None.

Close to perfect
By Omega

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving experience on Indonesian roads. Steering accuracy at high speed is good. Response to acceleration is excellent. Emergency braking on curving wet road is excellent. Performance & driving safety on mountainous highways are excellent. Best SUV for Indonesian road and offroad conditions at affordable price.

Acceleration, steering accuracy, driving safety.

Better paint quality. It scratches too easy (especially for Indonesian traffic conditions and reckless door opening habits).

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!

I like the appearance with the painted bumpers versus the plastic bumpers. Plus a lot of the options were standard with the Sport model I purchased.

Once again I would have to say the clunking noise with brakes. I seriously thought something was wrong with it.