2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
A lemon right off the lot
By John on 02/08/05 01:09 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new, left over 2004 Escape. Within two hours of leaving the dealer the accelerator would not release and I found myself going 85 mph on the highway with the speed increasing. I managed to put it into neutral and pull over to the side with the engine racing. A tow truck was called and took me and the car back to the dealer. I found out Ford Motor Company had recalled 2002 through 2004 Escapes to fix accelerator problems, but my dealer had failed to fix it before selling it to me. He is claiming ice build up was the problem, not the accelerator cable. Either way, a car that dangerous should not be on the road.

My Ford Escape 2004
By John Brown on 01/05/05 21:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

More then I expected. Ride is great. Power for a 6 cylinder is more then you need. Room in the interior is a lot more then I expected. Handles with ease. My wife loves the car. I am very happy with the choice of suv we have made. I would recomend looking & driving one to anyone who is looking to purchase a suv.

I Love my Ford Escape
By Ford Escape on 01/02/05 13:41 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Escape XLT 4WD since January 2004. I have not had any problems what so ever. It snowed 4" the week I brought my Escape I work 35 miles from my residence I had no problem getting to and from work. I drove my Escape from Temple Hills, MD to Ft. Lauderdale, FL over 1400 milles one-way no problem, I love the the take- off speed of my Escape even though it's an SUV it's very light so the take-off is excellent. My Escape is roomy and the gas mileage is excellent I work 35 miles from my home I fill up once on Sunday and once on Thursday I get great gas mileage. My husband owns the Ford Explorer XLS 1999; it's burns more gas so we usually drive the Escape since the gas prices are high.

Live in my car
By VISTING NURSE on 01/02/05 12:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The pick-up is great in a go situation- It handles great, is perfect for my type of job--I’m in it 5 days a week, in and out-stop and go-I practically live in my Escape 45 hrs a week.

escape
By layne on 12/27/04 21:52 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

have really enjoyed the ford escape. bought for wife to drive because we needed room for two car seats side by side. has worked out great. power from the v6 has been amazing. the ride is great. easy to get in and out. i really love this vehicle.

Really like my first SUV.
By Rodney C. on 12/22/04 21:53 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Limited Escape. It handles very well and has lots of take off power and speed. It's a lot easier to park than you might figure. It also has plenty of room on the inside. It has a lot of interior features, including a nice radio with a 6 CD player. The only thing I'd like to have different on the interior is I wish the seats were a little thicker and the gas tank held more gas.

Ford Escape is #1 with me!
By Herb Conlan on 12/12/04 08:33 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The size is perfect and the style and "go" are exciting. Driving it is a real pleasure. The aggressive tires are noisy but it is not an unpleasant sound. Mileage is 20mpg and could be better but there's a cost to a large engine with lots of zoom. The interior is handsomly designed and the seats are very comfortable. Parking is simple because of it's compact size. Cargo space is as much as I expect to ever use and lowering the seats for maximum carrying capacity is simple. Visibility is outstanding.

This vehicle is awesome!!!
By aceron76 on 11/30/04 13:31 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The gas mileage is not as good as advertised. I get about 15mpg. But this thing looks sharp and drives nicely.

Great SUV
By Jo Ann H on 11/26/04 14:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After driving my escape for over 15,000 miles the first year I must report that I am problem free. It is still a pleasure to drive. The 4WD made it easy to drive in last winter snows. The Escape has plenty of cargo space especially with the rear seats folded down.

"First and only"
By Elizabeth Sullivan on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After driving this vehicle, an engine light came on. (100 miles) The vehicle was then taken back to the dealer, where they did not know how to fix the problem( calling the ford "hot line") and refused to give me a written statement "after fixing the problem"