2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Great Car
By Roger122387 on 11/16/06 23:03 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just hit 50,000 miles and this car is great! I also owned an 04 Mazda Tribute and they have both been great. The only thing that bothers me is the brakes wearing too quick and the traction not being too great in rainy weather. I have actually hydroplaned off the road in both of my vehicles. The engine sounds just as strong as it did new and everything is great on it. Some things do seem a little cheap on it (like the console and glove box). One big complaint I hear from everyone is the gas mileage is AWFUL...it does not match with the window sticker at all. It would be nice to get 25 mpg on the highway with the V6 but it's nowhere near that.

Want to Love It
By RU on 08/31/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car IS comfortable. But we've had problems since the beginning. At 5k miles it did not start at all - finally, after the FOURTH time, Ford replaced the computer and some other parts, it now starts. But the brakes squeak and grind even after having new pads and rotors replaced three days ago (42k now). Engine does not run smooth and has a hard time changing gears. Other problems (airbag light fixed 2x, broken electric window, smelly air conditioning, etc.). We want to love this car - as it IS comfortable- but we're going to start looking at more reliable options this weekend. Also, we live in the DC area and have not been happy with the service.

Ford Escape
By T Klotz on 08/21/06 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very good reliable vehicle, until at 60,000 miles a "faulty" fuel pump had to be replaced, as well as the clutch. The emissions light came on, but only a switch was required to fix it; bought extended warranty, but only has covered the fuel pump so far - the car has been hit three times from behind and the bumper and whole exhaust system had to be replaced. Car paint is still shiny like a brand new car, interior is holding up well, as well as electronics - may consider buying another after this car is paid off, will have to see what other problems it has down the road.

I Love It
By Jackie on 04/25/06 15:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape mainly because my daughter & grandson live 300 miles away and it's all PA turnpike. I wanted something comfortable and economic to make the 5 hour trip (frequently) but big enough to haul everything that I must take. My Escape has carried tools, furniture (they recently purchased a house) and a lot of toys. I love my Escape, the ride is extremely comfortable, not truck-like, sporty and a real pleasure to drive

Handles well, broke down at 37,000 miles
By forddriver on 03/04/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Handles well, plenty of storage. The cruise control is well-designed. Handles really well in poor weather, snow, heavy rain, etc. One small blind spot by the side view mirrors, but great visibility compared to other SUV's. Stopped running at 37K miles. Had to replace the MAF (a $325 repair). Didn't like that on a low mile vehicle that's been well-maintained.

My second one!
By Catherine Busso on 12/23/05 23:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All the comforts of a larger, heavier SUV, but lightweight ... and easy to handle. I love the ease of opening the hood and the back. It's great for women! It's my second Escape Limited and has wonderful leather seats that heat up.

Escape XLT AWD Auto
By Doug on 11/22/05 00:12 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wife and I are ski instructors and it handles wonderful in the snow and ice. Much better than our 2 previous Explorers. We have towed a 1100 lb flat bed trailer with no problem. Poor gas mileage for size of vehicle; we average 17-18 MPG.

Blown engine
By aceron76 on 08/26/05 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My engine threw a rod at 34,311 miles and punched 2 holes in the block. Ford replaced it under warranty. If you buy a Ford make sure you are aware of their Road Side Assistance program and you also may want to get an extended warranty. They don't give you a replacement car or a rental without an extended warranty. I was without my vehicle for 2 weeks.

Excellent Compact SUV
By Mike on 08/08/05 13:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned my AWD Escape XLT V6 for 15 trouble free months now and I continue to be impressed by the overall quality and versatility of this little SUV. Car-like ride, powerful engine, excellent handling and braking capability. I live on a small farm and occasionally have to drive it over some rough terrain. It is a tough little SUV, and Ford was smart enough to put all-terrain tires on the Escapes. This is a definite advantage over the Honda CR-V , Toyota RAV-4 and several other "pretenders." Would highly recommend the Escape to anyone.

Awesome
By Zac on 06/10/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape in December and we haven't had a single regret. A month after we bought it it snowed over a foot of snow and we needed to drive over a mountain pass around 9500 feet. The car just plowed right through. There is a bunch of space in the back which is nice for cargo or friends. All in all the experience has been great. We are planning on getting another one in the future.