Used 2004 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Time for a Trade-In
By K.Gibson

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first got my Escape I loved it to death but now...I am ready for a trade in after only 2 1/2 years. When I got my car it was all good except for the emisssions/check engine light came on when it rained or it putt- putted every now and then. However, I got into an accident in July when someone T-boned me and and I reached 100000 miles it all wen to crap. After getting just about everything fixed up front ($5000) all three of my catalytic converters needed replaced (they didn't tell me to replace it before when I could have gotten the 80000 mi warrenty) and now my light still comes on and I need something else fixed. I just keep putting more money into it.

The ride is great and I like the height of the Escape. The gas milage is wonderful too.

I got the value so I wish I had all of the extras. It should also have a longer warrenty on the catalytic converters. I think that it should also come in more colors. I personally think that it should have been recalled because of the catalytic converters.

Last Ford I will ever own!
By Philip Miller

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst Ford Escape I had ever owned. This car had been a nightmare from day one. The transmission went out at 100,000 had to replace to tie rods, 3 wheel bearings, put new spark plugs in it because the car shook every time it got wet. Now after I fix everything the shocks or springs broke because the car is making a loud cracking noise. I would love to get rid of it but I had to refinance to fix my transmission and this Ford does not hold the value good at all.

Leather, sound system, moon roof

Make a car that lasts!

Making the switch
By Mel

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape brand new, 2 weeks later it broke down, 2 months after that the first of 2 recalls arrives. The transmission shifts hard and now the whole brake system needs serious work. Neither my husband nor I are hard on the Escape, as a matter of fact, after 4 years there is only 23,000 miles on it.

The color (blue), big enough for tall people, interior easy to clean.

Better quality of parts in the drivetrain as well as the brakes

Excellant 4x4 in snow
By audreyc

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Escape is a great 4x4 in Maine winters. 92,000 miles and no problems. Tires can be noisy when you get over 50 mph. The handling of the Escape is great able to make tight turns when you are in the Wal-mart parking lot.

Would buy another one!
By kwilliams

2004 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape for convenience. My kids getting their own cars I didn't need a van anymore. Wanted to down size my car. This Escape was a one owner and seldom driven. I have had only usual stuff done. I have never had it to fail in starting or going where I need to go, either on the highway or in a hay field! Dependable and good on gas! 24 hwy and alittle less city. Good buy for me! Sun roof does hesitate to open or close sometime.

Roomy, outside looks small compared to the inside! Can haul a lot of stuff! Fun to drive. Sun roof and 6 cd player.

Less noise inside and out. Button in front for hatch to open.