Used 2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

Favorite Features

We can haul almost anything with the back seats down!! It has been very handy for hauling large items and 50 lb sacks of animal feed . Easy to remove groceries from back. The seats are great-clean up is easy - we haul pets too & grandkids!

Suggested Improvements

Since it's 6 years old, I'm sure any suggested improvements have already been made. Wheel base s/b longer to improve the ride. Ford - you are doing alright!

Good to go
By David M Decker

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this sweet heart with 120k and have put another 50K on in the last 18 months. 4x4 easy to handle and shift. We live in Alaska and have some pretty icy roads and rough weather. I can leave town and trust my bride will be safe in our trusted little rig. Tracks and climbs like one of the big boys but just sips the fuel. Plenty of power and a delight to drive. No problems thus far, but keep those fluids changed ! Very strange way to change the front turn signals.

Escape to LA
By Escape owner

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to own: it looks great, the driving experience and handling give you confidence, is roomy, and is very reliable. It still runs like a charm after 50k miles.

Favorite Features

Looks like a more expensive SUV ... I love the gray/black combination ... solid feel and handling

Suggested Improvements

Not too thrilled about the gas mileage: I'm not a lead-foot nor haul that many people around and I get around 15mpg avg. Also, when it rains I hear a noise that sounds like water trickling from a fountain. And have a squeaky noise in the suspension that no one can seem to find the root cause.

231,000
By Frosty

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD changer, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Better tougher quality interior, Easier cleaning interior. Road Noise in the cabin.

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

Favorite Features

Good grip around corners at high speed, good stability against high winds, good turning radius, easy to park, easy to get into and out of, great reliability so far, nice interior and well layed out instrument panel and center consol. My MPG range is 19-28.

Suggested Improvements

It's tough to push the clutch, dashboard sqeeks, slow acceleration, noise isolation from the road is mediocre at best, air filter is tough to replace, door speakers buzz at moderate volume, and the engine has a rough idle SOMETIMES.