2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews 4

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
So Far So Good
By Pam on 05/27/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 56,000 miles on mine the 2.5 years I've owned it, and have required only scheduled maintenance, new tires, and brake pad replacement. I think it's a great for an all-around small utility, not luxury, SUV. I have front wheel drive model, does great in snow. For what I needed and could afford, a pretty good buy. I'd prefer another Honda, but couldn't afford the used ones. I hope I get at least 200,000 miles out of it.

not worth the money
By unhappy on 02/20/08 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The problems I have with this vehicle are... the windows always have grit in them, the sun visor always comes off the clip, the car is the most uncomfortable vehicle to take road trips in, and the overall quality of the vehicle is just not what I expected for the money I paid. I would not buy another one. I guess this is what I get for straying from Honda.

Love this SUV, would recommend to anyone!
By happy customer on 01/27/08 08:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and have never had any problems, just regular maintenance, still going strong. Hope to get a lot more miles out of the car, now has 87,000 miles, maybe get 200,000?

Same problem for 4 years now
By james on 10/28/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It has a low maintenence record. I have had a intermittent problem since I have owned it. I am the only owner of this vehicle. It has occasionally shut off when shifting to reverse from another gear. It occasionally shuts off while driving down the road. It starts back up when you restart it. It did this under warranty. It first did it 3 days after owning it. The dealership has never diagnosed the problem. This is a major safety issue which is making me question Ford's quality control and service practices. No need to buy an extended warranty with this one. They cannot fix it while its under factory warranty. Fun to drive when it does not do this.

Dangerous
By Mariah Lemaster on 10/04/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this truck. Unfortunately I was going down the interstate and the balljoint gave out, flipping us three times. We are lucky to be alive. the truck only had 41,000 miles. Also had to replace the wiring harness at 38,000 miles.

Better choices available
By LG on 08/15/07 17:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a dealer's demo with 4,000 miles and the truck performed pretty good mechanically. Needed tires at 32,000 miles. The ride was very noisy with a lot of wind noise and road noise. After 30,000 miles the ride was very rough and the truck was all over the road on bumpy roads. I recently bought my wife a Kia Sportage and that vehicle runs rings around the excape as far as comfort, ride and standard features although the Excape does have a more powerful engine. There are better choices in this price range.

Had problems
By Rob on 01/04/07 10:37 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased my 2004 Escape LTD in Feb. 2004. Two years later, at 20,000 miles, the car had a "complete failure of the transmission" (the dealership's words). The whole transmission had to be replaced. I have also had problems with the sun roof not opening correctly. Also, sometimes when I start the car the treble on the radio comes on but not the bass, and I have to restart the car to get the radio to work correctly. Plus, in cold weather the driver window squeaks horribly when you roll it up/down. I owned a 2001 Escape for three years and loved it so much I went back for the 2004 LTD. The problems I've had with it, especially with the transmission, have soured me to Fords.

Ford
By nkw1013 on 12/27/06 19:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle for my wife three years ago. Vehicle has not had any problems. Just routine maintenance and fuel, no complaints.

Close to perfect
By Omega on 12/09/06 23:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving experience on Indonesian roads. Steering accuracy at high speed is good. Response to acceleration is excellent. Emergency braking on curving wet road is excellent. Performance & driving safety on mountainous highways are excellent. Best SUV for Indonesian road and offroad conditions at affordable price.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa on 12/02/06 20:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!