Used 2004 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 275 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

Good grip around corners at high speed, good stability against high winds, good turning radius, easy to park, easy to get into and out of, great reliability so far, nice interior and well layed out instrument panel and center consol. My MPG range is 19-28.

It's tough to push the clutch, dashboard sqeeks, slow acceleration, noise isolation from the road is mediocre at best, air filter is tough to replace, door speakers buzz at moderate volume, and the engine has a rough idle SOMETIMES.

231,000
By Frosty

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

6 disc CD changer, durability.

Better tougher quality interior, Easier cleaning interior. Road Noise in the cabin.

Escape to LA
By Escape owner

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to own: it looks great, the driving experience and handling give you confidence, is roomy, and is very reliable. It still runs like a charm after 50k miles.

Looks like a more expensive SUV ... I love the gray/black combination ... solid feel and handling

Not too thrilled about the gas mileage: I'm not a lead-foot nor haul that many people around and I get around 15mpg avg. Also, when it rains I hear a noise that sounds like water trickling from a fountain. And have a squeaky noise in the suspension that no one can seem to find the root cause.

116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

We can haul almost anything with the back seats down!! It has been very handy for hauling large items and 50 lb sacks of animal feed . Easy to remove groceries from back. The seats are great-clean up is easy - we haul pets too & grandkids!

Since it's 6 years old, I'm sure any suggested improvements have already been made. Wheel base s/b longer to improve the ride. Ford - you are doing alright!

Mixed bag
By Bassic Steve

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and have taken meticulous care of it. The transmission failed me last year at 60K miles - $1K for new solenoid and fluid change. A year later, the transmission is misbehaving the same way again: near 45 mph, skips 2 gears into OD then stutters when you touch the gas to re-awaken the engine. If I want to keep it, I'm facing another $1K repair, with no guarantee that I won't be out another $1K next year. I've enjoyed driving the Escape. However, this issue and other quality defects (window gets stuck open at times, center console vinyl cracked when leaned upon, radiator leak required patch, etc) have turned me back toward a Toyota Highlander.

.Car-like feel when driving .Responsive, smooth-running engine

.Heater and A/C controls clunky and resist adjustment .Poor electric window reliability .Replace unreliable transmission design .Talk about "Ford quality" rivaling Honda's & Toyota's is both cheap and ridiculous. Prove it or continue to lose customers like me