2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Love this SUV, would recommend to anyone!
By happy customer on 01/27/08 08:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and have never had any problems, just regular maintenance, still going strong. Hope to get a lot more miles out of the car, now has 87,000 miles, maybe get 200,000?

Same problem for 4 years now
By james on 10/28/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It has a low maintenence record. I have had a intermittent problem since I have owned it. I am the only owner of this vehicle. It has occasionally shut off when shifting to reverse from another gear. It occasionally shuts off while driving down the road. It starts back up when you restart it. It did this under warranty. It first did it 3 days after owning it. The dealership has never diagnosed the problem. This is a major safety issue which is making me question Ford's quality control and service practices. No need to buy an extended warranty with this one. They cannot fix it while its under factory warranty. Fun to drive when it does not do this.

Dangerous
By Mariah Lemaster on 10/04/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this truck. Unfortunately I was going down the interstate and the balljoint gave out, flipping us three times. We are lucky to be alive. the truck only had 41,000 miles. Also had to replace the wiring harness at 38,000 miles.

Better choices available
By LG on 08/15/07 17:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this as a dealer's demo with 4,000 miles and the truck performed pretty good mechanically. Needed tires at 32,000 miles. The ride was very noisy with a lot of wind noise and road noise. After 30,000 miles the ride was very rough and the truck was all over the road on bumpy roads. I recently bought my wife a Kia Sportage and that vehicle runs rings around the excape as far as comfort, ride and standard features although the Excape does have a more powerful engine. There are better choices in this price range.

Had problems
By Rob on 01/04/07 10:37 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased my 2004 Escape LTD in Feb. 2004. Two years later, at 20,000 miles, the car had a "complete failure of the transmission" (the dealership's words). The whole transmission had to be replaced. I have also had problems with the sun roof not opening correctly. Also, sometimes when I start the car the treble on the radio comes on but not the bass, and I have to restart the car to get the radio to work correctly. Plus, in cold weather the driver window squeaks horribly when you roll it up/down. I owned a 2001 Escape for three years and loved it so much I went back for the 2004 LTD. The problems I've had with it, especially with the transmission, have soured me to Fords.

Ford
By nkw1013 on 12/27/06 19:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the vehicle for my wife three years ago. Vehicle has not had any problems. Just routine maintenance and fuel, no complaints.

Close to perfect
By Omega on 12/09/06 23:55 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Driving experience on Indonesian roads. Steering accuracy at high speed is good. Response to acceleration is excellent. Emergency braking on curving wet road is excellent. Performance & driving safety on mountainous highways are excellent. Best SUV for Indonesian road and offroad conditions at affordable price.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa on 12/02/06 20:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!

Great Car
By Roger122387 on 11/16/06 23:03 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just hit 50,000 miles and this car is great! I also owned an 04 Mazda Tribute and they have both been great. The only thing that bothers me is the brakes wearing too quick and the traction not being too great in rainy weather. I have actually hydroplaned off the road in both of my vehicles. The engine sounds just as strong as it did new and everything is great on it. Some things do seem a little cheap on it (like the console and glove box). One big complaint I hear from everyone is the gas mileage is AWFUL...it does not match with the window sticker at all. It would be nice to get 25 mpg on the highway with the V6 but it's nowhere near that.

Want to Love It
By RU on 08/31/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car IS comfortable. But we've had problems since the beginning. At 5k miles it did not start at all - finally, after the FOURTH time, Ford replaced the computer and some other parts, it now starts. But the brakes squeak and grind even after having new pads and rotors replaced three days ago (42k now). Engine does not run smooth and has a hard time changing gears. Other problems (airbag light fixed 2x, broken electric window, smelly air conditioning, etc.). We want to love this car - as it IS comfortable- but we're going to start looking at more reliable options this weekend. Also, we live in the DC area and have not been happy with the service.