Used 2004 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

My 2004 Ford Escape
By Tracie

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had virtually no problems with my Escape in the 4 years that I have owned it. It handles beautifully and has a powerful 4.0L V6 engine, just like new. Good brakes, fun to drive! My only complaint is the gas mileage I get 15 city 18 hwy, much less then what the sticker showed. My husband's 5.3L V8 gets 17 hwy, sad. The only problem I have had is that the airbag light came on just 3 days ago and it has been on since. If it doesn't go off soon I will take it in to the dealership to see what's going on. I love my Escape and plan to drive it for many years to come, might even buy another one some day. It has changed my outlook on Fords.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, handles great, sharp looking exterior, love the interior, especially the seats, mine are two- toned black and grey. Large cargo area for hauling things, performs well in all types of terrain.

Suggested Improvements

Hydroplanes a little in wet weather, poor gas mileage!

So Far So Good
By Pam

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 56,000 miles on mine the 2.5 years I've owned it, and have required only scheduled maintenance, new tires, and brake pad replacement. I think it's a great for an all-around small utility, not luxury, SUV. I have front wheel drive model, does great in snow. For what I needed and could afford, a pretty good buy. I'd prefer another Honda, but couldn't afford the used ones. I hope I get at least 200,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

I love the large cargo space for its size, and the split rear seats. I've hauled stuff I never thought I'd fit into it. Pretty fun to drive overall.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is dull and cheap looking - they gould have done a lot better, it's not a Festiva! Padding/cushioning inside the drivers seat is shifting a bit and lumpy on one side-not sure what the problem is - maybe it's torn on the inside. Ride is a little rough and noisy.

Same problem for 4 years now
By james

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It has a low maintenence record. I have had a intermittent problem since I have owned it. I am the only owner of this vehicle. It has occasionally shut off when shifting to reverse from another gear. It occasionally shuts off while driving down the road. It starts back up when you restart it. It did this under warranty. It first did it 3 days after owning it. The dealership has never diagnosed the problem. This is a major safety issue which is making me question Ford's quality control and service practices. No need to buy an extended warranty with this one. They cannot fix it while its under factory warranty. Fun to drive when it does not do this.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive for minor off road adventures. This is not a Jeep but it does handle well off road. I do not have the 4x4 model but I have not got this stuck on dry land either.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the shutting off problem with my vehicle. It did it in the shop but they did not have the test equipment on it when it died. 4 years later i still deal with this issue. Ford needs to inspect wiring before completing the vehicle for sale. This is possibly my vehicles issue but I'm not totally sure

Dangerous
By Mariah Lemaster

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this truck. Unfortunately I was going down the interstate and the balljoint gave out, flipping us three times. We are lucky to be alive. the truck only had 41,000 miles. Also had to replace the wiring harness at 38,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Small exterior, big interior

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!

Favorite Features

I like the appearance with the painted bumpers versus the plastic bumpers. Plus a lot of the options were standard with the Sport model I purchased.

Suggested Improvements

Once again I would have to say the clunking noise with brakes. I seriously thought something was wrong with it.