Used 2004 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love this SUV, would recommend to anyone!
By happy customer

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and have never had any problems, just regular maintenance, still going strong. Hope to get a lot more miles out of the car, now has 87,000 miles, maybe get 200,000?

Favorite Features

Plenty of room, powerful engine, gas mileage 25 to 26 mpg highway. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the road noise. Would like to have the gear shifter on the floor, ours is an automatic.

Ford Escape
By T Klotz

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very good reliable vehicle, until at 60,000 miles a "faulty" fuel pump had to be replaced, as well as the clutch. The emissions light came on, but only a switch was required to fix it; bought extended warranty, but only has covered the fuel pump so far - the car has been hit three times from behind and the bumper and whole exhaust system had to be replaced. Car paint is still shiny like a brand new car, interior is holding up well, as well as electronics - may consider buying another after this car is paid off, will have to see what other problems it has down the road.

Favorite Features

I like the sportiness of the Escape.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are not that comfortable for road trips, better sound system.

"First and only"
By Elizabeth Sullivan

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After driving this vehicle, an engine light came on. (100 miles) The vehicle was then taken back to the dealer, where they did not know how to fix the problem( calling the ford "hot line") and refused to give me a written statement "after fixing the problem"

Favorite Features

I really enjoyed driving the ford escape, until the engine light came on. I hope this problem does not happen again.

Suggested Improvements

Please make a better engine. The mech. told my father and I that on the ford lot 2 out of 10 vehicles sold have some kind of a problem.

MPG's
By doogster

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this truck for 6 days nows - I drove 339 miles on my 1st tank of gas and it was spread out evenly between hwy & cty miles. The reason I got the 5-speed manual 4cyl was for the "estimated" 28MPG. I can tell you I drive my vehicles very easy and I never "jack-rabbit" start. I ALWAYS get more then the estimated top end gas mileage but, this first tank of gas yielded me only 24.8 MPG. I was VERY UPSET! I hope that this is because the truck is new and will have to break in... but I can't imagine that is the case. Other than that. The truck rides nicely and with all the rebates I got out of there with a brand new truck for $15,300. Not too bad.

Favorite Features

5-speed, 4 cyl

Suggested Improvements

More options should be avail on this vehicle.... in order to get the 5-speed and 4 cyl I had to get the 15" wheels... 16" was not an option. CD/MP3, Center console & electronic mirror with compass and temp should be an option (it is on the Mazda version of this truck).

a great suv for the money
By jim r

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this suv has been one of the best autos we have ever owned great fuel mileage fun to drive

Favorite Features

all of it

Suggested Improvements

wish they offerd a v6 with the man. trans & a armrest would be nice.