2004 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Love it!
By macmish on 02/16/10 20:51 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new in November of 2004. I love the looks - Exterior color is red with tan leather interior. Hot! The performance has been great. I have never had any trouble with it. I recently purchased a 16' tow behind trailer. The Escape tows it like a dream.

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx on 02/08/10 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

231,000
By Frosty on 01/31/10 08:06 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

Escape to LA
By Escape owner on 12/30/09 03:05 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to own: it looks great, the driving experience and handling give you confidence, is roomy, and is very reliable. It still runs like a charm after 50k miles.

116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords on 12/09/09 15:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

Mixed bag
By Bassic Steve on 09/01/09 21:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and have taken meticulous care of it. The transmission failed me last year at 60K miles - $1K for new solenoid and fluid change. A year later, the transmission is misbehaving the same way again: near 45 mph, skips 2 gears into OD then stutters when you touch the gas to re-awaken the engine. If I want to keep it, I'm facing another $1K repair, with no guarantee that I won't be out another $1K next year. I've enjoyed driving the Escape. However, this issue and other quality defects (window gets stuck open at times, center console vinyl cracked when leaned upon, radiator leak required patch, etc) have turned me back toward a Toyota Highlander.

My review
By Escape 04 on 09/01/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

6 months after I bought my escape the transmission went out of it. There was no warranty on it and a new one was going to run me $3,000. I argued with the dealership and ended up only paying $500. But I shouldn't have had to pay anything! Since then it has been a great vehicle.

My Ford Escape
By frosty on 07/28/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car!! I bought my Escape with 150,000. miles I now have 215,000 and i'm still driving. i have only had scheduled maintenance, tires, and one alternator put on . She's been AWESOME** Ford did great with this one.

Have Loved It
By EMTMIKE on 06/12/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my escape in 2004 brand new. It has plenty of power and has never let me down. Gas mileage isnt great with my average being 20mpg. Odometer is now at 55,000 miles. At this point these are my only complaints...the center console cover was too weak...I put my arm on it in the winter and it cracked..dash vents produce debris (black crumbs) that are noticeable. Gear shift gets in the way of stereo control. Thats it. Plenty of cargo room and great in the snow.

ford should look into this
By NOT SO SURE on 04/04/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 escapes and I am a little disappointed in them.At first when they are new they are wonderful vehicles. They are fun to drive and very reliable. I am an avid outdoorsman and need my escape to haul a small trailer under 1500 lbs. I am anal about taking care of my vehicles, but around 50000 I had to replace all 4 wheel bearings on both vehicles. Also this year while parked in a lot to watch a sporting event we returned to find the rear window had blown out. I have friends who have stated that this has happened while driving the vehicle I am somewhat dissapointed in this design flaw. Ford should look into this. As the vehicle gets some milage on it it starts to nickle and dime.