Used 2004 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

Good grip around corners at high speed, good stability against high winds, good turning radius, easy to park, easy to get into and out of, great reliability so far, nice interior and well layed out instrument panel and center consol. My MPG range is 19-28.

It's tough to push the clutch, dashboard sqeeks, slow acceleration, noise isolation from the road is mediocre at best, air filter is tough to replace, door speakers buzz at moderate volume, and the engine has a rough idle SOMETIMES.

Time for a Trade-In
By K.Gibson

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first got my Escape I loved it to death but now...I am ready for a trade in after only 2 1/2 years. When I got my car it was all good except for the emisssions/check engine light came on when it rained or it putt- putted every now and then. However, I got into an accident in July when someone T-boned me and and I reached 100000 miles it all wen to crap. After getting just about everything fixed up front ($5000) all three of my catalytic converters needed replaced (they didn't tell me to replace it before when I could have gotten the 80000 mi warrenty) and now my light still comes on and I need something else fixed. I just keep putting more money into it.

The ride is great and I like the height of the Escape. The gas milage is wonderful too.

I got the value so I wish I had all of the extras. It should also have a longer warrenty on the catalytic converters. I think that it should also come in more colors. I personally think that it should have been recalled because of the catalytic converters.

Making the switch
By Mel

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape brand new, 2 weeks later it broke down, 2 months after that the first of 2 recalls arrives. The transmission shifts hard and now the whole brake system needs serious work. Neither my husband nor I are hard on the Escape, as a matter of fact, after 4 years there is only 23,000 miles on it.

The color (blue), big enough for tall people, interior easy to clean.

Better quality of parts in the drivetrain as well as the brakes

Escape XLS 2.0 in TX
By Dave

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Surprisingly good grip around curves, nice interior design, reliable, cruise control function and nice exterior visual appeal. Cons: The clutch is grippie cold and improves at warmup; doors speakers buzz; too much road noise, and stiff clutch action.

Road handling, interior design and layout, attractive exterior, and sits up higher than cars.

An improvement in road noise, mpg, clutch performance and door speakers are needed.

It could be better for the money!
By I Got Suckered!

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car I bought for myself. The excitement of it all jaded my common sense. This is a very loud ride! Even with new tires, a new alignment job, new brakes, and new rotors. $400 later at 30k it's still loud and I have to blast my radio to hear it over the hummm. The interior is very cheap. My son sits on the seat and within the first month of owning it, the carpet where the seat and cushion meets was frayed and looked 4 yrs older. The sun/moon roof did not open & close properly from about 1 month in. The gas mileage is horrendous even with new airfilters and driving in overdrive! To top it off, I pay way more than I feel it's worth.

Sun/Moon roof, six CD changer

Enable MP3's, and Ipods to be played, fix the extermely loud wheel noise, improve the quality in the the interior fabric, and carpet (make it withstand a family!), make the ac have a recirculate option- having ac with skunk smell from outside stinks and the ac doesn't cool feet either!