Used 2004 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Repaced a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Cherokee
By kz4zzz

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the 2001 Jeep since 2003 and I really liked it ! Drove that Jeep for 10 years... Found the 2004 Escape a great replacement. New jeeps are now junk and are over priced. The 2004 Escape looks a tad smaller and has a few features the Jeep should have had. The 2004 Escape I found was solid and very quiet and had only 52,000 miles and was garage kept. New 16" tires, new battery, very well maintained. it was better than new! He got the new car bugs out of it for me and I paid $15,000 less than his retail price.

Favorite Features

16 wheels/tires, tinted glass, hidden spare tire, shorter wheel base, split rear seat for loading long items and still having 3rd person sitting in rear

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank, key entry on Passengers door, and in the rear entry.

Good value for the money
By ohiodale

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Escape with about 87,000 miles on it. It has always been a good car for me and its going on 9 years. I had to replace the front axil due to the gear that drives the anti lock brakes cracking. This repair was $350 which was not bad in my eyes. I do routine oil changes and have had all the other fluids changed once, including the brake fluid. I am a firm believer that if you want a car to last you need to put some money into them. I expect I will need to replace the spark plugs and serpentine belts in about a year. I drain the transimission fluid from the drian plag every couple of years and so far so good with the tranny.

Favorite Features

I like the style, the 6 cyclinder engine, and the fold down back seats. Its fun to drive and still has good resale value. I love the way it looks like a truck not a station wagon on stilts.

Suggested Improvements

I like it overall and nothing stands out that should be improved.

231,000
By Frosty

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD changer, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Better tougher quality interior, Easier cleaning interior. Road Noise in the cabin.

116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

Favorite Features

We can haul almost anything with the back seats down!! It has been very handy for hauling large items and 50 lb sacks of animal feed . Easy to remove groceries from back. The seats are great-clean up is easy - we haul pets too & grandkids!

Suggested Improvements

Since it's 6 years old, I'm sure any suggested improvements have already been made. Wheel base s/b longer to improve the ride. Ford - you are doing alright!

My Ford Escape
By frosty

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car!! I bought my Escape with 150,000. miles I now have 215,000 and i'm still driving. i have only had scheduled maintenance, tires, and one alternator put on . She's been AWESOME** Ford did great with this one.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD and Size.

Suggested Improvements

Road Noise