Used 2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good to go
By David M Decker

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this sweet heart with 120k and have put another 50K on in the last 18 months. 4x4 easy to handle and shift. We live in Alaska and have some pretty icy roads and rough weather. I can leave town and trust my bride will be safe in our trusted little rig. Tracks and climbs like one of the big boys but just sips the fuel. Plenty of power and a delight to drive. No problems thus far, but keep those fluids changed ! Very strange way to change the front turn signals.

Not bad but not great
By johnny127

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only have about 98K, but the body is starting to rust out. I've seen Escapes much newer than mine with similar corrosion problems. Engine has been reliable (aside from several coil packs requiring replacement), but it gulps fuel. Transmission has been reliable and shifts well. If we drove longer distances, we would add a separate transmission cooler due to problems others have reported. Car is peppy and feels sporty. Well weighted steering. Upholstery shows stains like there's no tomorrow. The 4 wheel drive is not the best, even when the part time 4x4 mode is selected.

If you don't live in the rust belt, aren't that concerned about gas mileage or 4x4 prowess (forget driving in deep snow),, get it.

Repaced a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Cherokee
By kz4zzz

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the 2001 Jeep since 2003 and I really liked it ! Drove that Jeep for 10 years... Found the 2004 Escape a great replacement. New jeeps are now junk and are over priced. The 2004 Escape looks a tad smaller and has a few features the Jeep should have had. The 2004 Escape I found was solid and very quiet and had only 52,000 miles and was garage kept. New 16" tires, new battery, very well maintained. it was better than new! He got the new car bugs out of it for me and I paid $15,000 less than his retail price.

16 wheels/tires, tinted glass, hidden spare tire, shorter wheel base, split rear seat for loading long items and still having 3rd person sitting in rear

Larger gas tank, key entry on Passengers door, and in the rear entry.

Catalytic Converter Fail
By daveinvirginia

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 90,000 miles, all THREE catalytic converters failed. Happened to be when the auto companies were having probs so parts makers were scaling down causing us to have to wait 3 months for one of the parts. Three months in the shop and $3,600 to get it fixed. During this, our parts guy was told by Ford that it's normal for the CC's to fail at about 90K miles. Of course this also happened a month before we were planning on taking a camping trip with a couple of friends. Wound up using our Ranger w/trailer and friends bringing their car instead of all of us fitting in the Escape plus trailer.

Good value for the money
By ohiodale

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Escape with about 87,000 miles on it. It has always been a good car for me and its going on 9 years. I had to replace the front axil due to the gear that drives the anti lock brakes cracking. This repair was $350 which was not bad in my eyes. I do routine oil changes and have had all the other fluids changed once, including the brake fluid. I am a firm believer that if you want a car to last you need to put some money into them. I expect I will need to replace the spark plugs and serpentine belts in about a year. I drain the transimission fluid from the drian plag every couple of years and so far so good with the tranny.

I like the style, the 6 cyclinder engine, and the fold down back seats. Its fun to drive and still has good resale value. I love the way it looks like a truck not a station wagon on stilts.

I like it overall and nothing stands out that should be improved.