2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Repaced a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Cherokee
By kz4zzz on 02/08/14 09:18 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the 2001 Jeep since 2003 and I really liked it ! Drove that Jeep for 10 years... Found the 2004 Escape a great replacement. New jeeps are now junk and are over priced. The 2004 Escape looks a tad smaller and has a few features the Jeep should have had. The 2004 Escape I found was solid and very quiet and had only 52,000 miles and was garage kept. New 16" tires, new battery, very well maintained. it was better than new! He got the new car bugs out of it for me and I paid $15,000 less than his retail price.

Good value for the money
By ohiodale on 04/11/12 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Escape with about 87,000 miles on it. It has always been a good car for me and its going on 9 years. I had to replace the front axil due to the gear that drives the anti lock brakes cracking. This repair was $350 which was not bad in my eyes. I do routine oil changes and have had all the other fluids changed once, including the brake fluid. I am a firm believer that if you want a car to last you need to put some money into them. I expect I will need to replace the spark plugs and serpentine belts in about a year. I drain the transimission fluid from the drian plag every couple of years and so far so good with the tranny.

231,000
By Frosty on 01/31/10 08:06 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape used in 2005 at the time I purchased it, it had 150,000 miles. I have driven it everywhere , everyday , in all different types of conditions it has been fairly maintenance free until this year but at 231,000 miles that is to be expected. Motor is still great uses no oil and has been changed every 3,000 miles. The only things that I have replaced were the alternator, front wheel bearings, and 2 o2 sensors. All and all not bad. I would love to have another one that is this good.

116,000 and still going strong
By 2Fords on 12/09/09 15:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Escape brand new in Feb '04. It has been a great little SUV - our first experience with an SUV. Only had cars or PUs before. I've read some of the problems other people have had and we have not had ANY. Only have replaced tires, brakes and battery (usual stuff). We have one problem with the sunroof sometimes sticking so we do not open it anymore. Have had all maintenance done at dealer & we think that makes a difference. Now at 116,000 - hope to go up to 200,000. We average 21-23mpg - best on trip was 26. I bought a '07 Civic to drive to work & have had more problems with it than this Ford! We use the Escape every weekend for shopping & around town.

My Ford Escape
By frosty on 07/28/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car!! I bought my Escape with 150,000. miles I now have 215,000 and i'm still driving. i have only had scheduled maintenance, tires, and one alternator put on . She's been AWESOME** Ford did great with this one.

My 2004 Ford Escape
By Tracie on 10/02/08 07:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had virtually no problems with my Escape in the 4 years that I have owned it. It handles beautifully and has a powerful 4.0L V6 engine, just like new. Good brakes, fun to drive! My only complaint is the gas mileage I get 15 city 18 hwy, much less then what the sticker showed. My husband's 5.3L V8 gets 17 hwy, sad. The only problem I have had is that the airbag light came on just 3 days ago and it has been on since. If it doesn't go off soon I will take it in to the dealership to see what's going on. I love my Escape and plan to drive it for many years to come, might even buy another one some day. It has changed my outlook on Fords.

So Far So Good
By Pam on 05/27/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 56,000 miles on mine the 2.5 years I've owned it, and have required only scheduled maintenance, new tires, and brake pad replacement. I think it's a great for an all-around small utility, not luxury, SUV. I have front wheel drive model, does great in snow. For what I needed and could afford, a pretty good buy. I'd prefer another Honda, but couldn't afford the used ones. I hope I get at least 200,000 miles out of it.

Same problem for 4 years now
By james on 10/28/07 23:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It has a low maintenence record. I have had a intermittent problem since I have owned it. I am the only owner of this vehicle. It has occasionally shut off when shifting to reverse from another gear. It occasionally shuts off while driving down the road. It starts back up when you restart it. It did this under warranty. It first did it 3 days after owning it. The dealership has never diagnosed the problem. This is a major safety issue which is making me question Ford's quality control and service practices. No need to buy an extended warranty with this one. They cannot fix it while its under factory warranty. Fun to drive when it does not do this.

Dangerous
By Mariah Lemaster on 10/04/07 13:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved this truck. Unfortunately I was going down the interstate and the balljoint gave out, flipping us three times. We are lucky to be alive. the truck only had 41,000 miles. Also had to replace the wiring harness at 38,000 miles.

Fun, Fun, Fun
By Theresa on 12/02/06 20:47 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I have to say is I bought the Sport model with the painted bumpers. I prefer the total look over the plastic bumpers. Next thing I did was purchased a very nice pair of chrome rims and some chrome accessories. It really did dress it up and I get a lot of compliments on the appearance of it. It does ride a little rough. I'm glad to hear another reviewer mention the clunking noise with the brakes. I thought I was hearing things. Also, an option of an 8 cylinder would be nice. This is the second SUV I've owned, but the first Ford SUV and I think I'm keeping it for a long, long time. I love my Ford Escape!