2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx on 02/08/10 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.

Time for a Trade-In
By K.Gibson on 03/20/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first got my Escape I loved it to death but now...I am ready for a trade in after only 2 1/2 years. When I got my car it was all good except for the emisssions/check engine light came on when it rained or it putt- putted every now and then. However, I got into an accident in July when someone T-boned me and and I reached 100000 miles it all wen to crap. After getting just about everything fixed up front ($5000) all three of my catalytic converters needed replaced (they didn't tell me to replace it before when I could have gotten the 80000 mi warrenty) and now my light still comes on and I need something else fixed. I just keep putting more money into it.

Making the switch
By Mel on 01/22/09 13:36 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape brand new, 2 weeks later it broke down, 2 months after that the first of 2 recalls arrives. The transmission shifts hard and now the whole brake system needs serious work. Neither my husband nor I are hard on the Escape, as a matter of fact, after 4 years there is only 23,000 miles on it.

Escape XLS 2.0 in TX
By Dave on 07/20/08 05:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Surprisingly good grip around curves, nice interior design, reliable, cruise control function and nice exterior visual appeal. Cons: The clutch is grippie cold and improves at warmup; doors speakers buzz; too much road noise, and stiff clutch action.

It could be better for the money!
By I Got Suckered! on 06/16/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car I bought for myself. The excitement of it all jaded my common sense. This is a very loud ride! Even with new tires, a new alignment job, new brakes, and new rotors. $400 later at 30k it's still loud and I have to blast my radio to hear it over the hummm. The interior is very cheap. My son sits on the seat and within the first month of owning it, the carpet where the seat and cushion meets was frayed and looked 4 yrs older. The sun/moon roof did not open & close properly from about 1 month in. The gas mileage is horrendous even with new airfilters and driving in overdrive! To top it off, I pay way more than I feel it's worth.

Love this SUV, would recommend to anyone!
By happy customer on 01/27/08 08:24 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and have never had any problems, just regular maintenance, still going strong. Hope to get a lot more miles out of the car, now has 87,000 miles, maybe get 200,000?

Ford Escape
By T Klotz on 08/21/06 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very good reliable vehicle, until at 60,000 miles a "faulty" fuel pump had to be replaced, as well as the clutch. The emissions light came on, but only a switch was required to fix it; bought extended warranty, but only has covered the fuel pump so far - the car has been hit three times from behind and the bumper and whole exhaust system had to be replaced. Car paint is still shiny like a brand new car, interior is holding up well, as well as electronics - may consider buying another after this car is paid off, will have to see what other problems it has down the road.

"First and only"
By Elizabeth Sullivan on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After driving this vehicle, an engine light came on. (100 miles) The vehicle was then taken back to the dealer, where they did not know how to fix the problem( calling the ford "hot line") and refused to give me a written statement "after fixing the problem"

MPG's
By doogster on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this truck for 6 days nows - I drove 339 miles on my 1st tank of gas and it was spread out evenly between hwy & cty miles. The reason I got the 5-speed manual 4cyl was for the "estimated" 28MPG. I can tell you I drive my vehicles very easy and I never "jack-rabbit" start. I ALWAYS get more then the estimated top end gas mileage but, this first tank of gas yielded me only 24.8 MPG. I was VERY UPSET! I hope that this is because the truck is new and will have to break in... but I can't imagine that is the case. Other than that. The truck rides nicely and with all the rebates I got out of there with a brand new truck for $15,300. Not too bad.

a great suv for the money
By jim r on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this suv has been one of the best autos we have ever owned great fuel mileage fun to drive