2004 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Repaced a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Cherokee
By kz4zzz on 02/08/14 09:18 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had the 2001 Jeep since 2003 and I really liked it ! Drove that Jeep for 10 years... Found the 2004 Escape a great replacement. New jeeps are now junk and are over priced. The 2004 Escape looks a tad smaller and has a few features the Jeep should have had. The 2004 Escape I found was solid and very quiet and had only 52,000 miles and was garage kept. New 16" tires, new battery, very well maintained. it was better than new! He got the new car bugs out of it for me and I paid $15,000 less than his retail price.

Catalytic Converter Fail
By daveinvirginia on 07/12/12 14:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 90,000 miles, all THREE catalytic converters failed. Happened to be when the auto companies were having probs so parts makers were scaling down causing us to have to wait 3 months for one of the parts. Three months in the shop and $3,600 to get it fixed. During this, our parts guy was told by Ford that it's normal for the CC's to fail at about 90K miles. Of course this also happened a month before we were planning on taking a camping trip with a couple of friends. Wound up using our Ranger w/trailer and friends bringing their car instead of all of us fitting in the Escape plus trailer.

Good value for the money
By ohiodale on 04/11/12 10:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Escape with about 87,000 miles on it. It has always been a good car for me and its going on 9 years. I had to replace the front axil due to the gear that drives the anti lock brakes cracking. This repair was $350 which was not bad in my eyes. I do routine oil changes and have had all the other fluids changed once, including the brake fluid. I am a firm believer that if you want a car to last you need to put some money into them. I expect I will need to replace the spark plugs and serpentine belts in about a year. I drain the transimission fluid from the drian plag every couple of years and so far so good with the tranny.

Used to love it
By dharvs on 01/05/11 09:04 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2004 Escape WAS a trooper even with 2WD and without ABS it drove well all through the year. The V6 powers the car well and the RPMs can really rev up to give you a big boost past 70mph for 2-lane and highway passing. 5 hour drives were no problem, AC/Heater worked well always. I paid $9000 for it in 2007 with 60K on the engine, I put on another 70K and began having engine issues. An airhose needed to be replaced but even after that was done the RPMs would drop to 500 and it would feel close to stalling out, sometimes it did. Even with normal maintenance the rod and bearings seized meaning I needed a new engine. This, after $700 for new front suspension (at 131K not bad).

One COOL ride!
By C G Moore II on 08/29/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I waited till just the right time to buy my Escape, best deal I ever made. I am a college sports official and I use it to get around town and to drive to and from events. Space, comfort, ride and looks are just a few of the things that make this vehicle outstanding. I can take just about anything in the cargo and extended area with the back seats down. Plus, I can tow my motorcycle, boat of loaded trailer with no issue at all. I comment FORD for making such a GREAT little SUV.

Love to drive/hate to repair
By R. Sutphin on 08/13/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is a fun vehicle on trips. I average 21-25 mpg on long trips. However at 92,000 the transmission went out. Quite an expense for a fairly new SUV. In early 2009 the torque converter and wheel bearings had to be replaced. The check engine light remains on (no one can find a problem). After less than an hour of driving the overdrive light starts flashing and the transmission starts shifting very hard (again no one can find a problem). Airbag light stays on now (sensors have been replaced). I am putting a daughter through college right now, otherwise it would have been traded. I have always been a Ford customer, but this has not been a great experience.

Transmission problems too soon
By Jeanne on 06/11/10 10:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Ford Escape new and enjoyed it for several years without a problem other then usual maintenance. Then at 84,000 miles the transmission went out and cost me $2400 to replace and one month later it died on the freeway, towed again, the pcv tube rotted $585. Not reliable after that. The car shakes unexpectedly and then goes away, sun roof locks up, noises underneath among other things. Should have gone more then 84,000 before replacing a transmission. Would not buy another one. Currently have 113,000 on it and looking to replace it before winter weather.

ESCAPE LOVER
By mohegan on 04/07/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no maintenance problems in 6 years! Toyota put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Love it!
By macmish on 02/16/10 20:51 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new in November of 2004. I love the looks - Exterior color is red with tan leather interior. Hot! The performance has been great. I have never had any trouble with it. I recently purchased a 16' tow behind trailer. The Escape tows it like a dream.

2004 Ford Escape XLS 4 cyl
By davidintx on 02/08/10 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good all around vehicle with just a few warts.