A very nimble SUV
By Pat O'Riley on
2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I put the seats down and was able to fit 20 - 3cubic ft. bags of mulch in it. It has a perfect blend of power, from acceleration to passing. The steering is very nimble. Highway mileage is around 26mpg while the city rating is not what I expected at 17mpg. I am a 6ft. male at 170lbs. The drivers seat makes me feel like I am on top of the vehicle instead of inside it. The ride is smooth but leans while cornering. It seems to hold the road very well and is not affected much by wind. The engine hesitates during the first few minutes of operation and the transmission shifts up an down between 30 - 40 mph. The dealer changed the throttle body due to sticking.
Favorite Features
Ride - smooth yet stable. Power/Engine - plenty. Versatility - A plus. Driveability - this is a very nimble vehicle. The wide stance with the 16 in. wheels.
Suggested Improvements
Please do something about the shifting between 30 - 40 mph. Steering wheel - it needs to angle out more, not up. Keep the engine but city mileage needs to improve to 20 mpg. Eliminate the plastic side panels. Offer a model fit and geared for men. Thank you.