Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape 2003 review
By Mia Z.

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my Escape. It is the first vehicle I ever bought so it will always have a special place in my heart. It is a great car that I have used to move twice, haul material from Home Depot and carted my husband and dog around town. It was nice enough that I wasn't embarrassed to valet park at some of Atlanta's nicer restaurants.

I love that it has cup holders everywhere. My previous car did not have any cupholders so you can understand how this was a desired feature.

I WILL BUY ESCAPE AGAIN!
By Linda-Tennessee

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used in 2003. It had 15K miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I fell in love with it the moment I test drove it. It handles very well, and is very comfortable to travel in. I have 3 children (15, 10 & 6) and they fit into the back seat with room left between them. I love my Escape, and when it is time, I will trade for another one.

Body style, cabin style, stereo system (6 disc in the dash with 6 speakers), and the cargo area.

Better mileage on the Escape would be nice considering the ever rising gas prices.

Transmission problems
By Shelly

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new, but unfortunately I didn't buy the extended warranty. Even thought it was well maintained, at 54,000 miles the transmission failed. I had it towed to a Ford dealer, and then had to get a rental car to get home, since I was out of town. It cost me over $3000 to get the transmission replaced, plus rental car expenses, with no help from Ford customer service. I can't recommend this car for reliability, since I've since heard of others with similar problems.

Great looks, great cargo room.

Please get the squeaky steering wheel and the transmission problems fixed.

don't know yet
By benni

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this vehicle used. It's been ok. Going from a Saturn SL2 to this is pretty amazing. It sits so high. Getting in and out is wonderful. So far we are fine with this suv. I don't like where the windshield wipers are next to the steering wheel. The brakes make a lot of noise; other than that it seems like Ford did an ok job with this one; we will see in the future.

Getting in and out, roominess of the inside, and the cargo space are fantastic.

Move the wipers switch, better braking system, and better fuel economy would be a start.

LOVE IT
By denise wong

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I not only have 4 kids, but a dog too, My sons love to borrow it to go skiing, daughter just recently learned to drive in it. I have a screen repair business and with the seats down there so much room I can even haul the big screen doors. The comfort is great; I take my dog to work each morning and he loves all the room. I get a lot of compliments on how it looks. I plan on keeping it for a long time. I totally think it's an awesome vehicle. I have recommended it to several family members and friends. I love my Ford Escape.

Leather seats, radio, comfort, looks of the body.

Better gas mileage.