2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Poor choice
By K PRIDE on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Before warranty was over, Ford replaced entire plastic panel around bottom of vehicle (faded). Battery failed & was replaced. We just went out of warranty (38,000 mi) and the gas pedal has started sticking when you take it out of park. At 40K mi, the CD player has quit working. Sorry, but it's out of warranty! Sorry, FORD, you lose in the long run!

We love this little guy!
By Sharonxtxr on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are so pleased with this small SUV, our first but not last. We have already used it for a motel, love the seat warmers and extra handles for the older generation. Love the heating and air conditioning system too. So simple.

Good Vehicle
By Brice rhodes on 12/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4X4.I am very happy with my Escape.I absolutley love the exterior look and it rides very well.I think the interior could be a little more modern.I am not too happy with the fuel economy.I get about 18-19 mpg most of the time.Overall it is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Pretty good
By Monifa Johnson on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Premium Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car could be improved by Ford. I don't think they gave it their all.

Love it!
By Sandy Bartlett on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have been researching this SUV for weeks, test drove many. The ride is very good, build seems excellent if a little spartan in the interior, but I like that and its what keeps the price down. Plus every one loves the way it looks, real head turner. Highly recommended.

Fun Car
By Bill Haupt on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first Ford car I have purchaed in my life. I was replacing a Nissan Quest Van built by Ford so, I decided to try the Ford. My main purpose was to buy a smaller car that gave me better gas mileage and still gave me the interior room and hauling capacity of my Van. The car has been great and trouble free although I am disapointed in the gas mileage and exterior sheet metal work, this car has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Ford Escape 2003 XLT
By Pikal on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall good. The doors feel like tin and don't close easily enough. Gas mileage not nearly as good as expected, 16-21 mpg. The horsepower is very good. Overall the SUV is fun and reliable.

2003 Escape
By M. Warren on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car has great performance, handles very well. Fuel economy is average for class 20 mpg overall.Driven mostly on highways but has been on the beach in sand and in the snow, performed well on both. The only problems with vehicle were a dirty throttle body that was cleaned and a sensor was replaced for the back-up system.

Transmission Problem
By fordescapevictim on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Three months after I purchased it, the transmission started to break down. The Ford dealership attempted to fix it but cannot. They claimed the computer module has to be reprogrammed so they did, but the slipping problems still keep reoccurring. I don't think this SUV is ready for prime time. Remember, you don't get compensated for the inconveniences you suffer plus headaches.

Wonderful little SUV.
By fun to drive on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With 10K miles on it, my wife and I are loving our new Escape: the combination of small size outside and great interior space, the fun driving experience, the "Mach" radio upgrade, etc. Build quality is excellent - no glitches at all. Ride is a good mix of car and truck -- not nearly as tippy as the little Toyota and Honda we tested. My only complaint is my own fault -- I ordered 2 wheel drive, not 4 wheel. The Escape can really accelerate quickly from a stand-still, but with only 2 wheels to transfer the power to the ground, I can't enjoy this as much as I would like.