Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Limited
By charles allison

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first SUV owned. Loaded with all the extras. The V-6 is outstanding. Cruises at 80 mph effortlessly. 5 1/2 hour trips to the beach in comfort - 25.5 mpg hwy. Great front bucket seats, radio/CD player is excellent, but could use better speakers. Adequate cargo space for dog and luggage. Roof rack is a plus, but rarely used. I don't care what Consumer Reports says - the Escape is the best compact SUV on the market. I will buy a new one with a navigation system as soon as available. Until then, at 90,000+ miles, my Escape continues to march without a hiccup.

Get the extended warrenty
By gg

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Ford Escape until the transmission went out at 56,000 miles. I have heard from others that this is common for Ford vehicles. I thought it had a powertrain warranty and did not purchase the extended warranty. If you decide to buy this SUV, pay the extra money for the extended warranty.

Great interior space, comfortable ride for all passengers.

Better quality for the transmission.

Transmission problems -get Extended Coverage
By Dissatisfied

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission suddenly went at 63,000 miles. I didn't purchase extended warranty coverage when I bought the vehicle. Big mistake. It cost me $1,900.00 to have the transmission rebuilt by the dealer and $300.00 to rent a car for the week as the dealer didn't have a loaner. The dealer found a cracked piston and thought it might possibly have been a bad casting. I got no help from Ford. I am also having trouble with my instruments. They tell me I will have to replace the whole dashboard to fix these. The vehicle was just paid off last year and now I have big repair expenses. I feel Ford should put more quality in important parts of this vehicle. I feel the Escape is overpriced.

I liked the styling, the ride, the stabilizer bars.

Less luxury items. More attention to quality. I also didn't like back seats they didn't go down far enough and you had to pull the headrests off. I truly feel you don't get what you pay for.

Overall Excellent!
By ralph manfredonia

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value overall. Fun to drive and extremely good on gas(front wheel drive model)

Roomy interior,V6 motor is extremely peppy, great fuel economy on the front wheel drive model.

Great Car
By JohnG

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has met my expectations since my very first test drive. It was great to feel the smooth acceleration as I stepped on the gas and listened to the mighty little 3.0 come to life. It handles the road and curves like something that you might expect in a European concours. It's been loyal and fun to drive and my girls, the 100 lb. yellow labs, love it too!

The handling.

Pop out side windows at the rear.