2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Happy Owner
By adgrrl1 on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Over all, I have enjoyed leasing this vehicle for the past year. It has a V6, so there is good pick up. It's large enough to haul stuff, the back seat folds down flat. I carried four 6 foot tables and 10 folding chairs in it! Yet, I can still easily parellel park it! I can cart my Golden Retriever in comfort.

Excellent Car
By Luke28900 on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was so impressed by this car. It never lets you down.

Transmission Problem
By LED on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have driven this car approximately 3000 miles, with no problems. It is a pleasure to drive in the snow and ice, and has a lot of nice features. However, at 10,000 miles the transmission went out. Three different Ford service departments have told me that the problem is that a transmission cooler is installed on the Escapes that causes the fluid to "gel" in cold weather, and "Ford is working on the problem". Since then I have talked to two other owners who have experienced the same problem.I would not recommend buying this car until they fix this problem.

No regrets here
By Melissainva on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I conducted a lot of research before committing to purchase the Escape. I drove all the comparable vehicles (Liberty, Saturn, Santa Fe, etc.) and the Ford had the best handling response, most fun to drive and met all my needs - V6, cargo space, appearance, mileage, 4WD, and so on. If anyone is interested in the compact SUVs, I would highly recommend the Ford Escape be considered. After test driving, I think you'll find yourself wanting to make a purchase.

I wouldn't choose it again
By cschaeffer on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros - Easy to handle, good gas milage, and good stereo system. Cons - Noisy when driving, rides rough, accelerator sticks, cheap interior, doors don't shut all the way unless you practically slam them.

Love this one, will never buy any other
By sistrkate on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I looked around quite a bit and drove several of the smaller SUV's, and narrowed it down to the Jeep Liberty and Escape. For interior room and exterior looks, the Escape won hands- down. I love this SUV and would do it all over again. Very little to complain about except it seems to drain the gas tank all too often. V6 engine is more than adequate and stereo is great too!

Problems, Problems
By bizmark on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle brand new, right off the lot at a dealership 50 miles from home. Within two days there was a problem--the vehicle had a hole in the radiator right off the lot! With less than 10,000 miles a front wheel bearing went out. And now the thing kills sometimes if your foot is off the gas. I have to drive it with my right foot on the gas and my left on the brake when it is acting this way because every time you take your foot off the gas--even if moving in traffic--it will kill the engine. I had similar problems with a Ford in the past and now I think I won't ever own another one.

Not too bad
By mollic on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape because it was the first SUV I drove that was fun to drive. But, there's little things I would change. The V6 isn't as powerful as I would have hoped. My 1993 GMC Jimmy had MUCH more power in it's engine. The fuel economy doesn't seem to be as good in practice as on paper, and I'm anxiously waiting the Hybrid. Interior design could use a spruce up, too.

Accelerator sticks
By Esther Boyer on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The accelerator is too hard to push, not smooth, always jerky. Dealership says they have this complaint all the time.

#1 Small SUV!
By Madelyn on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle that was built by Ford. As my dad worked for Ford for 38 years I will always drive a Ford. Before we bought the Escape I thought that it would be to small but it has enough room for us. The small suv has a lot of hp rated at 201 which is more than enough for an suv. This vehicle is only about two years old and should be a great seller for many years to come. And also farwell to the great selling Taurus.