2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
More fun for the money!
By bjmbjm1998 on 02/20/05 12:36 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I did way more research than average person being a gearhead. I knew the strengths and weekness of the SUV before i bought a used one. I knew because of the way Ford designs their 4 valve engines, it would eat more gas. The secret to good gas mileage is an easy foot. One thing the Escape has is the ability to pull 3,500 lbs towing. This engine gives it that ability when you need it. The problem most people will have is that it can scoot quick if you nail the gas pedal. Thus your mileage will drop fast by pushing hard. I waited to buy the top of the line till it was 2 years old. Much better price! Paid $16,900 for a loaded Limited with sunroof and tow package and 18,000 miles. You'll love it!

2003 Ford Escape XLT No Boundries Pkg
By Pinkey on 12/08/04 19:12 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had issues with the sending unit, gas pedal, radio broke (CD option to mix play) and rack on the No Boundries package started to pit. All covered under warranty.

Ford Escape 2003
By Judy Smith on 11/06/04 08:25 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not buy this car again. Inferior interior with knobs breaking off or falling off after 1.5 yrs Would frequently not go in reverse, and had to be put back in park and tried again. The dealer said they "couldn't find anything wrong." Very uncomfortable seats. No back support at all. In spite of this, I realized I like a smaller SUV just not this one.

Disappointed
By Big White on 11/05/04 15:41 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm very disappointed. I Have 13000 miles and had to have my transmission replaced. Ford would not replace with a new one so on a 1yr old car I now have a rebuilt transmission. The service I received from the dealership was the worst experiance I've ever had. This is the second time I've had it in for stalling reasons. I will never buy another Ford car. I DO NOT feel confident driving this SUV.

Love it
By pandora0703 on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far my Escape has been fun and reliable. We use it for camping and long trips. I am also on the short side. What I like the most is the adjustable seat and that I dont have to sit on top of the steering wheel to reach the pedals.

Ford Escape XLS
By bchamp on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a good mini SUV with few problems. I had my radio/CD player replaced and my tires are not wearing as well as my previous "Ford Explorer". I get 20.2 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. The tan interior cloth shows spots "very easily" compared to gray or a pattern design cloth. I think Ford should have included privacy glass to protect children and making a cheap roof rack a $75.00 option and floor mats an option still bothers me. The XLT comes with these things but you will not get the value back on re-sell.

Luv it
By Chromecowgirl on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Escape for 2 mos and just love it. It's small enough to not be cumbersome (I'm a petite person)and big enough for my big guy hubby to fit into it comfortably. The ride is very carlike, it has great pickup and I love the cargo space that it has, without having to be in a big SUV.

So far, so good.
By cowpie on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

15k so far and only a couple of minor problems. Has great acceleration for a v6 and we get 22-24 mpg. Wife loves the heated seats, backup beeper and the moonroof. Enough room in the back for the kids.

Just a few bugs....
By PandalvsEscape on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very cute little SUV for a small family. I would purchase another one and I am looking forward to seeing the new hybrid. The Escape is big enough that you feel safe, but not so big that you feel like you have to climb in.

A very nimble SUV
By Pat O'Riley on 05/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I put the seats down and was able to fit 20 - 3cubic ft. bags of mulch in it. It has a perfect blend of power, from acceleration to passing. The steering is very nimble. Highway mileage is around 26mpg while the city rating is not what I expected at 17mpg. I am a 6ft. male at 170lbs. The drivers seat makes me feel like I am on top of the vehicle instead of inside it. The ride is smooth but leans while cornering. It seems to hold the road very well and is not affected much by wind. The engine hesitates during the first few minutes of operation and the transmission shifts up an down between 30 - 40 mph. The dealer changed the throttle body due to sticking.