Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

DO NOT BUY
By Laura M

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although I have enjoyed this vehicle because I have had very little engine problems I am DISGUSTED with the paint problems. A few months ago I noticed blisters in the paint job on hatchback and hood. Now the paint is just peeling off and no coverage. I have heard and read literally hundreds of complaints...yet Ford will not listen. This is a serious problem as my vehicle now looks awful.

PAINT ISSUES NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY FORD.

Need 4wd on fire runs
By Vol FF

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it bewcause I needed 4wd to get to some of the fires I respond to. I love the way the truck handles at speed. The accelleration allows me to get out of situations before they become a problem. The only complaint is the transmission. It doesn't seem to shift smoothly all the time, especially in the winter. Other than that I will certainly buy another.

Handles like a car but runs like a truck.

Fix the tranny.

Transmission Shot
By JeffP

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was a bank repo that appeared to be well taken care of. My wife drives this and likes the way it handles in snow and bad weather. We have never had this vehicle off road or done any towing and now at 123,000 miles the transmission is slipping when it's cold. Our mechanic say's it's about to go out and replacement with rebuilt tranny is about $3,500. I replaced my Winstar tranny too at about 60,000 miles. See a trend here with Ford transmissions. I do and will think long and hard before buying another.

Wife likes the ride and the car overall.

11" rear wiper blades are carried by nobody! Fuel mileage.

Can't wear brakes out
By mark

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this loaded XLT with leather for my wife. I call it the red rocket. Goes like stink. Just changed the original tires at 100000 km's. Still has the original brake shoes and pads, half worn only. Very agile and fun to drive. great gas mileage. Tons of leg and cargo room. Easy controls to reach on dash. Only complaint is the CD player is a pain to load while driving. Selecting a slot to put a CD in should not be an option. It should be automatic. Just bought an 06 LTD I like them so much. My Expedition is a tank and can travel over any terrain. This SUV is not meant for that. It's fun and looks cool and is practical for everyday use

Great Safe Vehicle
By Great Safe Vehicle

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new & have loved it from day one. With over 108K miles, it still has a lot of power & handles very well. The vehicle is very roomy, but is not difficult to maneuver like larger SUVs. I was just involved in a serious accident while driving my Escape and I have to commend it from a safety perspective. I was sitting at a red light and was hit from behind by a utility truck traveling at a high rate of speed. I was then pushed into the full sized truck in front of me. Unfortunately the Escape is a total loss, but I "escaped" with only a broken toe and a few bruises. I am very impressed with the overall safety of this vehicle and would certainly recommend it for any family.

Spacious for passengers and cargo, great pick-up, great luxury features of the Limited, still looked new after 5 years

Oil filter location is not ideal for maintenance, oil runs out on motor, etc creating quite a mess.