Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love my Escape!
By Pammyc

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used and never regretted it. It's roomy and comfy. Has everything I wanted.

Leather, roof, and roomy cargo area.

Light for ignition area. Better gas mileage.

The Honeymoon is Over
By juniper jenny

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the car used with low mileage. I felt very safe driving it and it was a fun car to drive. It had a very loud ride. I paid a lot of money for new tires to make the ride quieter. I've replaced numerous belts on the car and an alternator in 2005 right after my warranty ran out! The car has had 2 recalls in 2 years too. At 63,000 miles the tranny went. I owed $7,000 on the car and a new tranny was $4,000. Ford gave me a great deal on a trade-in and now I'm trying out the Explorer!!

The car is fun to drive

It needs a quieter ride

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable

The Family Escape
By stinkins

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Between my mother and I, we've had this Escape since 2003. We both love it. My major problems is that my fuel economy has been tanking since about 40000 miles or so.

6-disc CD changer, sunroof, POWER!

Fuel economy.

I love my Escape!
By Karen

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had my 2003 Escape for about three weeks now but I do love it! This is my first SUV and it took a little getting used to but now that I am, I'll never go back to driving a car. The Escape handles great, has great acceleration and looks really sporty. The interior is roomy except I think that the seats are too short. This is the only thing that keeps the comfort level from being perfect. The stereo has great sound and I love having the six disc cd changer in the dash. I miss the outside temp,compass displays and lighted vanity mirrors from my car. Waiting for snow to check out the 4 wheel drive as this will be my first experience with it. Overall, it's a great vehicle.

Good sized compact SUV, handles great, great acceleration.

Make the front seats longer, add outside temp and compass displays and lighted vanity mirrors.

• SUV