2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews 5

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
You usually get a few pits with cherries
By newsuvdriverman on 01/14/06 05:45 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recent purchase. I'm (initially) very favorably impressed with the package. Good power (I don't remember the '89 Sable's 3.0V6 having this much OOMPH to it -- or dual cams/24 valves either). Steady ride, smooth handling, and good braking. So far, the gas mileage seems A-ok. This vehicle is just the right height for ease of entry, exit without any strain, or backache. The seat adjusts very well for the driver. This has a "throaty" sound that feedbacks through the cabin to let you know that you're driving a SUV that's got some zip potential. The turning radius is good, and visibility is very good. The vehicle looks very good, and sits very well. Options are all very nice. I strongly recommend it.

0000
By mildred funk on 01/03/06 20:13 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far this suv drives well. Handles well behind the wheel. I'm short, so it's easy for me to get in an out of. Gets good gas mileage. I don't like the wiper control by the shift bar at all. Love the power it has. Gets up an go. I love opening the doors, with ease. Stops on a dime.

Only one complaint
By Dan on 01/02/06 12:33 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car except that it is not that great in the snow with the original tires. I recently put on all terrain tires and now it is great in the snow. I have put about 50,000 miles on it in two years and I have not had a single problem!

Not happy with my Escape
By notahappydriver on 07/25/05 13:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Escape for a little under 2 years and I am ready to get rid of it. The acceleration is great; that's about the only thing I like about it. It does not ride smooth and feels rough around the edges. The tires and wheels get covered in brake dust within a day washing them; you can never keep them clean.

Hope the kinks are out
By Mike on 07/16/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used and had problems from the day I picked it up. When I picked up Escape the remote mirrors did not work & the salesman had taken out the radio due to problems. About a month later the emergency brake froze (would not release). Then about 2 months after that the power moonroof would not open (no Escape for 5 days). No other problems after that (thank goodness). I was seriously considering selling this vehicle, but decided to hang on to it. Hopefully all the kinks are out.

looking for less jolt
By zoran windrich on 05/22/05 19:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought ours brand new from the dealer and from the start it fit the bill. It was sporty, higher than some cars so you felt safer in it, until my mom started driving it. We did not realize it then but the car lurches forward when the accelerator is slowly pressed. For a grand mother with over forty years of driving this is a problem. She feels scared that maybe she will hit someone unexpectedly. We are selling it; it has only 4000 miles in perfect condition.

I am about to switch to a hybrid
By Claudia Schumacker on 03/13/05 01:58 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I have traveled some fun retirement miles in our Escape Limited. I love the heated leather seats. We are ready to make the big switch to the hybrid. Gas prices are awful and I hear really good things about this Escape. The car is loaded and very comfortable on our long trips. The only remotely negative feature is the stiff bumpy ride and it's a little too noisy. But, I wouldn't trade it for any other SUV.

So far... so good!
By Kleinzle on 03/03/05 16:52 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Went from an Acura Sedan to the Escape because I really wanted a 4 wheel drive. Definitely fun to drive and I love sitting high up now! Husband complains about the hard leather but I think it's pretty comfy. I finally am looking forward to a good snow storm!

Great for the money
By Mike on 03/01/05 17:01 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a great little SUV for the money. Plenty of room, plenty of power (V6). Build quality could be a bit better (rattles and squeaks at 40K miles) All in all I would buy another.

2003 Escape XLT 4x4
By David Wicksell on 02/27/05 18:30 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new in May of 2003 and have loved driving it ever since. When new they had to replace the radio (CD/tape) because the clock ran slowly. It was also missing the rubber stoppers for the liftgate's glass. Both problems were fixed under warranty. After a while I noticed another couple of defects, the rubber seals in the liftgate (both the glass and the gate itself) as well as the moonroof, leaked slightly in the rain. That is just sloppy workmanship in my opinion. The moonroof's switch didn't work correctly. They were however fixed by the dealership under warranty. I now have 34,000 miles on it and it runs like new. There have been no mechanical problems or any other problems.