2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Escape Limited
By charles allison on 01/10/07 17:37 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first SUV owned. Loaded with all the extras. The V-6 is outstanding. Cruises at 80 mph effortlessly. 5 1/2 hour trips to the beach in comfort - 25.5 mpg hwy. Great front bucket seats, radio/CD player is excellent, but could use better speakers. Adequate cargo space for dog and luggage. Roof rack is a plus, but rarely used. I don't care what Consumer Reports says - the Escape is the best compact SUV on the market. I will buy a new one with a navigation system as soon as available. Until then, at 90,000+ miles, my Escape continues to march without a hiccup.

Get the extended warrenty
By gg on 12/04/06 09:35 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Ford Escape until the transmission went out at 56,000 miles. I have heard from others that this is common for Ford vehicles. I thought it had a powertrain warranty and did not purchase the extended warranty. If you decide to buy this SUV, pay the extra money for the extended warranty.

Transmission problems -get Extended Coverage
By Dissatisfied on 11/27/06 18:37 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My transmission suddenly went at 63,000 miles. I didn't purchase extended warranty coverage when I bought the vehicle. Big mistake. It cost me $1,900.00 to have the transmission rebuilt by the dealer and $300.00 to rent a car for the week as the dealer didn't have a loaner. The dealer found a cracked piston and thought it might possibly have been a bad casting. I got no help from Ford. I am also having trouble with my instruments. They tell me I will have to replace the whole dashboard to fix these. The vehicle was just paid off last year and now I have big repair expenses. I feel Ford should put more quality in important parts of this vehicle. I feel the Escape is overpriced.

Overall Excellent!
By ralph manfredonia on 10/03/06 11:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value overall. Fun to drive and extremely good on gas(front wheel drive model)

Great Car
By JohnG on 08/30/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has met my expectations since my very first test drive. It was great to feel the smooth acceleration as I stepped on the gas and listened to the mighty little 3.0 come to life. It handles the road and curves like something that you might expect in a European concours. It's been loyal and fun to drive and my girls, the 100 lb. yellow labs, love it too!

Escape 2003 review
By Mia Z. on 07/24/06 14:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my Escape. It is the first vehicle I ever bought so it will always have a special place in my heart. It is a great car that I have used to move twice, haul material from Home Depot and carted my husband and dog around town. It was nice enough that I wasn't embarrassed to valet park at some of Atlanta's nicer restaurants.

I WILL BUY ESCAPE AGAIN!
By Linda-Tennessee on 07/16/06 15:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used in 2003. It had 15K miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I fell in love with it the moment I test drove it. It handles very well, and is very comfortable to travel in. I have 3 children (15, 10 & 6) and they fit into the back seat with room left between them. I love my Escape, and when it is time, I will trade for another one.

Transmission problems
By Shelly on 06/19/06 19:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new, but unfortunately I didn't buy the extended warranty. Even thought it was well maintained, at 54,000 miles the transmission failed. I had it towed to a Ford dealer, and then had to get a rental car to get home, since I was out of town. It cost me over $3000 to get the transmission replaced, plus rental car expenses, with no help from Ford customer service. I can't recommend this car for reliability, since I've since heard of others with similar problems.

don't know yet
By benni on 03/04/06 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this vehicle used. It's been ok. Going from a Saturn SL2 to this is pretty amazing. It sits so high. Getting in and out is wonderful. So far we are fine with this suv. I don't like where the windshield wipers are next to the steering wheel. The brakes make a lot of noise; other than that it seems like Ford did an ok job with this one; we will see in the future.

LOVE IT
By denise wong on 03/01/06 16:10 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I not only have 4 kids, but a dog too, My sons love to borrow it to go skiing, daughter just recently learned to drive in it. I have a screen repair business and with the seats down there so much room I can even haul the big screen doors. The comfort is great; I take my dog to work each morning and he loves all the room. I get a lot of compliments on how it looks. I plan on keeping it for a long time. I totally think it's an awesome vehicle. I have recommended it to several family members and friends. I love my Ford Escape.