Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Nothing but trouble with this car
By Never again

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I acquired this vehicle with the idea of great quality. Big Mistake! 1 week after purchasing it, the engine light came on, the fuel door open light came on, the battery light came on, etc... Took it into dealership where I was told that the lights were on from a short in the wiring. 1 week later while slowing down to make a turn during rush hour traffic, the car completely shuts off. This happened about 15 times with the dealership telling me they could find anything wrong with it. Come to find out there was a recall. The trans. started slipping not more than 3 months after that. Brand new rear tire was bald in less than 3 months from rubbing. Smelled burning oil always. radio buttons broke

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is pretty awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure if the workers were just asleep during the making of MY car, but the quality, durability, and comfort needs a lot of improvement.

My honeymoon with Ford is over!
By Zack

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a dealership with about 40,000 miles. I drive less than 10,000 miles a year but the repair costs on this car have ended my honeymoon with Ford -I cant wait to pay it off and never, ever tough a Ford! I had a Mazda before and then decided to try American but this was a big mistake. Unless Ford works on its quality, they will definitely collapse. I just got a Honda for my wife! –The catalyst convertor, peeling paint, the engine light never halts!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Ford should build tough!

Best Car I Ever Owned
By ThePhantom

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I went to buy a replacement Windstar in the fall of '03 and drove home in a red 2WD Escape. My wife and I fell in love with it immediately. Since then we have changed he oil and filter every 2500 miles and replaced filters and belts. The factory tires were horrible and screamed and moaned. I replaced them with Michelins and turned the Escape into a whole new, quiet, smooth-riding vehicle. Other than that the car has not been in the shop. It has required ZERO repairs in 65K miles. None. Zilch. Nada. This is far and away the best, most dependable automobile I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

We get 22 MPG on the highway, which is the same as my '63 Volkswagen Beetle. The front seats are comfortable. The car has NO squeaks or rattles. None. The sound system is wonderful. The ride height and visibility are great. The best feature is the utter dependability.

Suggested Improvements

It needed a right side arm rest. The console lid makes a popping noise when you lean on it. Getting in and out takes a little manoeuvering for a sexagenarian driver with arthritis, but this is a very minor complaint. The ride is "sporty" and you feel some road bumps. Pretty minor stuff, no?

Great SUV, fun to drive!
By Mattysmom

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After only driving cars, I wanted something bigger, especially since I have a child now. I researched alot of vehicles and liked the reviews on this one. With 5 star crash test ratings, and its reasonable price, you can't go wrong. I feel safe driving, and it's alot of fun. The only drawbacks are the noisy ride, and the crappy CD player (it ate 2 of my CDs!). Other than that, great little SUV!

Favorite Features

Interior room

Suggested Improvements

Better accessories (darn CD player!)

DO NOT BUY
By Laura M

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although I have enjoyed this vehicle because I have had very little engine problems I am DISGUSTED with the paint problems. A few months ago I noticed blisters in the paint job on hatchback and hood. Now the paint is just peeling off and no coverage. I have heard and read literally hundreds of complaints...yet Ford will not listen. This is a serious problem as my vehicle now looks awful.

Suggested Improvements

PAINT ISSUES NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BY FORD.