2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
New 2003 Excellent
By PWABUSCH on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I spent major time looking and test driving Hyundai , Honda , Mazda etc. and reading reviews on all of them including Ford Escape. This smaller midsize SUV is about the very best "bang for the buck" . I used to have a Ford Explorer so let me tell you guys , this Escape is NO ladies SUV. Great ride , vision , mileage and plenty of power to tow my 18 foot LUND boat!

Lemon or not a Lemon
By Bobby10999 on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In the beginning the vehicle was great. I did all the required servicing of the vehicle. But, after I had gotten to about 21,000 miles something went tottaly wrong. The head gasket blew, which caused me to be without my vehicle for 3 weeks. My local dealership told me they needed to replace the whole engine, since it was shot. Soon after the new engine was in place, i noticed some tapping noises at under 25mph. So, I took it back and at 25,000 miles the exhaust manifold had to be replaced. Now that I have 34,000 miles on it I am noticing more noises coming from the enginge compartment, along with sluggish shifting between gears. What is the problem now?

THE NEW BABY!
By JTCM56 on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

VERY SATISFIED WITH VEHICLE. SOLID AFTER 2 MONTHS. LOCAL AND LONG TRIPS MADE WITH NO PROBLEMS. AS REPORTED, JUST A TOUCH NOISY ON THE INTERSTATE BUT IT HANDLES LIKE A GERMAN CAR. SUPER PICKUP AND MUCH BETTER BRAKING THAN MY F150!

Escape (FUN)
By fusion4you on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Premium Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The escape is the perfect "SUV" for a family of 5. My personal vehicle is a F150 Harley-Davidson...so I take this thing out for fun. The 3.0 V6 and it's small size make it fun to drive.

Great New Escape
By MillerLite on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Premium Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2002 Escape with "Midnight" appearance package. It was more than I wanted but got a great deal. The glossy black finish really caught my eye because it's so much classier looking than standard Escapes and I like the fact they only made 5,000 of the "Midnight." I get lots of stares from other drivers! Plus dark leather interior is nice too! Great power with the V6. Handles like a car, smooth and no noice or rattles. Stereo is great and the size of the Escape is deceiving. It has more room than you'd think. Looks like a mini Explorer almost. Love my Escape!

hard seats
By tommy boy on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I almost bought the Escape, but two things stopped me. 1. The front seats were as hard as a rock. VERY uncomfortable, like sitting on a wooden bench. Too bad, I really liked the way it drove and handled, it is also very sharp looking. Ford needs to redesign the front seating. 2. Great deals on Explorers right now, I am getting an Explorer (full size) for less than the Escape or Explorer Sport (which I drive now). Tommy Boy

An overall winner!
By mba1956 on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After 6+ months with the Escape, I still have an high opinion of this SUV. Its spacious interior and great V6 engine are definitely best in class. Reliability has been excellent with no problems.

FUN TO DRIVE
By Hassan on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car performance is impressive, 0 to 100km is under 9.0 seconds, the power is available through out, the gas paddle is very responsive. Noise generated by tyres and wind noise is audioable at speed but not intrusive. The handling is superb with precise steering matching with superb stopping power eventhough the engine is so powerful, it is very easy to handle either on or off road.

Highly Recommend
By FordMamma on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded in my Jeep Larado for a Ford Escape. The difference in the feel of the drive is drastic! The Ford is very smooth drive like a car. I would say the interior is the same size as my Jeep Larado only I feel I sit lower. The back window the opens up in the back trunk is an asset for a person in a hurry. The back is very roomy in comparison the the Honda CRV or the Rav4. Great air/heat system. The CD/sound is wonderful! I feel very safe in this car and saftey was important for us. Wonderful gas milage. For the price I feel I got a lot of car. I did A LOT of research and feel that I chose the best car for our family.

2002 Escape
By litforever on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Exterior is delightful to look at, (black on black. only fault is the accumulation of brake dust, and a desire to have 18" rims instead of factory 16". On the interior, the MP3 player is a absolute joy on a road trip. The only interior fault is the mechanical knob on the seat that adjust the lumbar support, it has to be adjusted by a passenger if you dont get it where your want it before you begin traveling, and turning it seems to last for an eternity before one feels a result. For the most part this is the best small SUV on the market in my opinion.