Used 2003 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great Car
By tral2dax

2003 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. It's the first car I've ever gotten, and I have been pleasantly suprised by it's performance. It drives much like a car, and I always feel safe inside my Escape. I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a sporty, small SUV.

Exterior Appearance, Stereo System, Automatic 4WD Mode.

Fuel Economy, Interior Finishings.

Wonderful SUV!!!
By goldsend

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! It's car foundation gives it handling that is perfect for the city, but it is substantial enough that light trails hardly felt any different than the road. It only has a 15 gallon gas tank so when on the highway I have to stop often to fill the tank. I bought the new 'Gold Ash' color(very distinctive). The back seat is roomy and I have personally fit three kids and a dog in the back at once and everybody was still comfortable. My chief complaint is knob placement inside. The knob's are grouped close to the steering wheel and difficult to see sometimes. Other than these relativly minor complaints overall a great car for any active person.

V6 gives it plenty of pep. Handling is great. Visibility all around is fantastic.

A larger gas tank would be nice. Knob and switch placement could be done better. Plastic interior faces look cheaply made.

Great Little SUV
By ca_giraffe

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my red Escape from Barber Ford in Ventura, CA. It is the XLT, Popular 2, 2WD. It also has a sunroof and sidestep bars. I had rented an Escape prior to purchasing my own, and found the car to be affordable, fun, and practical. I have driven my Escape 12K miles in the past three months, and it has performed well. I am 6' 1", and appreciate the power driver's seat. I have not had any problems with my car, and would recommend it to others.

The sunroof is larger than I've seen on other small SUVs. The 6-CD changer is a nice standard feature as well. My other favorites include the rear cupholders (my 5-year-old son can reach them from his carseat) and the center console.

I would like to see larger side mirrors and better speakers (should have gotten the MACH sound system).

Escape
By nana Lori

2003 Ford Escape XLT Premium Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far I thoroughly enjoy my vehicle.......I think gas mileage could be better ( my v-8, 1997 thunderbird got better mileage ) I need something higher off the ground as I am tall and have bad knees........very glad I picked the 2003 Escape. I would probably get another if I needed to. Thanks..........

Size is a big plus.......easy to drive and has good visability. Overall a very fun vehicle. (and I'm not young)

Side airbags should be standard on all. Seats could be more plush and gas mileage could improve..........

EXCELLENT SMALL SUV FOR THE PRICE
By HDPOTTER

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since the first of August, 2003 and I am very well pleased with most all features of the vehicle. I live in the mountains and have to travel 50 miles round trip to the nearest town and I average around 18 miles per gallon. I also went on a 350 mile trip, which was over a lot of steep mountain roads plus going through several large cities/towns and averaged 25 miles per gallon, so I am very well pleased with my gas millage. The vehicle handled very well and had all the power that I needed, either pulling out in traffic or climing the mountains/hills. I have found the vehicle to be well build and a dependable vehicle up to this point.

The V6 engine gives me all the power that I need in any given situation. The exterior of the vehicle is great. You can let down either/both the split back seats to give you added carge room if needed.

The wiper controls should be on the other side along with the lights. The gear shift should be brought up closer to the driver in place of the wiper controls. The seats should be a couple of inches wider for a more comforable ride.