Used 2003 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
looking for less jolt
By zoran windrich

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought ours brand new from the dealer and from the start it fit the bill. It was sporty, higher than some cars so you felt safer in it, until my mom started driving it. We did not realize it then but the car lurches forward when the accelerator is slowly pressed. For a grand mother with over forty years of driving this is a problem. She feels scared that maybe she will hit someone unexpectedly. We are selling it; it has only 4000 miles in perfect condition.

Favorite Features

The most attractive feature is the look of the exterior. The car looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Handles rough, stiff in the shocks and accelerator is way too responsive from the start. I drive it too and because it is a front wheel drive, it feels like it wants to jump forward but actually runs out of steam soon.

problem ford
By jennifer amerson

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car fixed 5 times. It still will not start. I keep a journal and I have to crank it up to 12 times to get it to start in the middle of the month every month, and 6 times every time on the first week of each month. I think this is an electrical problem. I have had the idle valve replaced and it still will not start. Also has had 3 recalls done on it and I just had the power steering hose replaced on it last week. I do not know what to do just keep begging Ford to fix it so that I will not be late for work anymore. Cranking problem started 2 years ago and I have been told that this car can not be fixed. It only has 30,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

I like the car and want it fixed.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to fix my car. I would like to continue driving it because it is paid for.

Worst car I've ever had
By glee222012

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had this car for a good year its at 90,000 miles and since day one ive had numerous problems with it. I had my winshield washer fluid never work along with my cigarette lighter(s) i dont smoke but i would have liked to put a gps in considering me and my husband travel. everytime i turn on my a/c my rpm shoots up and its start this stuttering thing and even after the a/c is turned off it still stutters. i DO NOT get 18 mpg and when i had bought it i was told i was to get 20 mpg i have to put 50 or more in it EVERY WEEK the interior as well as the exterior is falling apart the fabric on the doors are peeling off on each door and the paint is peeling off outside

Favorite Features

there are no favorites

Suggested Improvements

i suggest they recall the 2003 fords and figure out what they need to do to make it better.

Ford Escape 2003
By Judy Smith

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not buy this car again. Inferior interior with knobs breaking off or falling off after 1.5 yrs Would frequently not go in reverse, and had to be put back in park and tried again. The dealer said they "couldn't find anything wrong." Very uncomfortable seats. No back support at all. In spite of this, I realized I like a smaller SUV just not this one.

Favorite Features

size

premature brake wear and failure
By biltmore

2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Ford Escape has only 12200kms. On July 31 2003 we were involved in a collision where the brakes failed in a panic stop situation. Dealership would not check the brakes under warranty so we are now involved in a law suit to recover damages due to the fact that there were two other vehicles in the collision. Brakes were spongy and alot of brake residue left on the wheels.This vehicle is driven in normal city driving situations+

Favorite Features

At this time none!!

Suggested Improvements

ABS brakes should be standard equipment on the Ford Escape. Ford should take a hard look at why there is premature brake wear.