2003 Ford Escape Consumer Review: 2003 Escape XLT 4x4

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Review

XLT Popular 2 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

2003 Escape XLT 4x4
By David Wicksell on

2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape new in May of 2003 and have loved driving it ever since. When new they had to replace the radio (CD/tape) because the clock ran slowly. It was also missing the rubber stoppers for the liftgate's glass. Both problems were fixed under warranty. After a while I noticed another couple of defects, the rubber seals in the liftgate (both the glass and the gate itself) as well as the moonroof, leaked slightly in the rain. That is just sloppy workmanship in my opinion. The moonroof's switch didn't work correctly. They were however fixed by the dealership under warranty. I now have 34,000 miles on it and it runs like new. There have been no mechanical problems or any other problems.

Favorite Features

The moonroof is huge. It is very nice looking inside and out. It has a smooth transmission and plenty of power. It is very spacious inside. Only minor squeeks or rattles. The seats are firm and comfortable so far. The stereo sounds great with only 4 speakers. No distortion and goes pretty loud.

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation for highway cruising. A little more damped/softer ride. A much better cabin air filter, one which filters out dust like a Honda. A little more sturdy plastic for the door handles. The option of a navigation system on a non-hybrid version.