Used 2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Ford Escape 2003
By Judy Smith

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not buy this car again. Inferior interior with knobs breaking off or falling off after 1.5 yrs Would frequently not go in reverse, and had to be put back in park and tried again. The dealer said they "couldn't find anything wrong." Very uncomfortable seats. No back support at all. In spite of this, I realized I like a smaller SUV just not this one.

Favorite Features

size

Need 4wd on fire runs
By Vol FF

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it bewcause I needed 4wd to get to some of the fires I respond to. I love the way the truck handles at speed. The accelleration allows me to get out of situations before they become a problem. The only complaint is the transmission. It doesn't seem to shift smoothly all the time, especially in the winter. Other than that I will certainly buy another.

Favorite Features

Handles like a car but runs like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tranny.

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable

Overall Excellent!
By ralph manfredonia

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value overall. Fun to drive and extremely good on gas(front wheel drive model)

Favorite Features

Roomy interior,V6 motor is extremely peppy, great fuel economy on the front wheel drive model.

Escape 2003 review
By Mia Z.

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my Escape. It is the first vehicle I ever bought so it will always have a special place in my heart. It is a great car that I have used to move twice, haul material from Home Depot and carted my husband and dog around town. It was nice enough that I wasn't embarrassed to valet park at some of Atlanta's nicer restaurants.

Favorite Features

I love that it has cup holders everywhere. My previous car did not have any cupholders so you can understand how this was a desired feature.