Used 2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Crummy for a used vehicle
By cooperh

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this it was 10 years old so I was not expecting much, but no matter how I look at it I am disappointed. Paint chipping and rusting is a serious issue on the exterior, the suspension is harsh, loudly clunking, and has been a money pit. I understand in buying used vehicles that there are fixes waiting to happen, but I didn't expect the magnitude that came with this thing! It may have been a nice vehicle when it was new but has not stood up to the test of time well. Other vehicles I've driven that gave me less issues than this were an 03' Ram 1500 dually, an 05' Mitsubishi Endeavor, and 07' Hyundai Entourage.

Favorite Features

6-CD sound system, handling

Suggested Improvements

build quality is not durable, engine strained, interior easily beat up, cup holders cannot hold anything in place, truck-style transmission is just weird in this thing

Over 281,000 miles and still going strong
By ljs_florida

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I had ever owned it now has over 281,000 miles and no major problems with this vehicle at all, the only thing that has gone wrong was the radiator and fuel pump no other problems.

Favorite Features

This vehicle is not only comfortable but great on gas and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

You could not make any improvements to this vehicle

Whats not to love!
By krootox23

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I do not see any flaws in this vehicle whats so ever. It gets great gas mileage, very very spacious. Extremely comfrotable leather interior. Engine is strong and tough. Anyone who says this car sucks or is bad is pulling it out of their a$$. I have owned the escape for nearly five years now and it has 197570 miles on it, I have never had to do any repairs except brakes rotors and oil changes with a few services for recalls.

Favorite Features

This car gets great gas mileage and it has the sexy appeal to go along with it. The cabin is extremely spacious on the xlt model and the air conditioning floods the inside very fast and effienciently. The transmission and engine are still going like they are brand new. The car handles great and can take me any where i want to go within reasonable limits (I'm not gonna climb a vertical hill offroad). Very smooth suspension system makes it a smooth ride at 90 mph. Has a solid roof rack to strap down moulding or luggage. Its just a great crossover car!

Suggested Improvements

Better speaker system is needed. I like it loud! Some steering wheel shaking at 85mph but thats just old age catching up to the old girl.

Worst car I've ever had
By glee222012

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had this car for a good year its at 90,000 miles and since day one ive had numerous problems with it. I had my winshield washer fluid never work along with my cigarette lighter(s) i dont smoke but i would have liked to put a gps in considering me and my husband travel. everytime i turn on my a/c my rpm shoots up and its start this stuttering thing and even after the a/c is turned off it still stutters. i DO NOT get 18 mpg and when i had bought it i was told i was to get 20 mpg i have to put 50 or more in it EVERY WEEK the interior as well as the exterior is falling apart the fabric on the doors are peeling off on each door and the paint is peeling off outside

Favorite Features

there are no favorites

Suggested Improvements

i suggest they recall the 2003 fords and figure out what they need to do to make it better.

I love my escape!
By esmith7

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My escape has 175,000 and has only needed minor maintenance repairs.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I do not like about the escape is the paint. Paint chips and peels. On both sides above the back tire there are getting to be huge rust spots.