Used 2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular SUV Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Single Mother
By Katherine Kendrick

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV ..doesn't receive the accolades it deserves. I love it! I have a dissabled..Adult son..front passenger. .comfortable and adjustable for him. And with simple regular maintenance. .holds up extremely well! My mileage is high but strictly highway. ..won't GET rid of it..for that reasons alone! 4 wheel drive is perfect for "country living "...and reliability

Crummy for a used vehicle
By cooperh

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this it was 10 years old so I was not expecting much, but no matter how I look at it I am disappointed. Paint chipping and rusting is a serious issue on the exterior, the suspension is harsh, loudly clunking, and has been a money pit.

I understand in buying used vehicles that there are fixes waiting to happen, but I didn't expect the magnitude that came with this thing!

It may have been a nice vehicle when it was new but has not stood up to the test of time well. Other vehicles I've driven that gave me less issues than this were an 03' Ram 1500 dually, an 05' Mitsubishi Endeavor, and 07' Hyundai Entourage.

6-CD sound system, handling

build quality is not durable, engine strained, interior easily beat up, cup holders cannot hold anything in place, truck-style transmission is just weird in this thing

Just sold it with 375,000 miles and running
By ljs_florida

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I had ever owned I just sold it with 375,000 miles on it and still running, very little problems with this vehicle since I owned it, I will buy another Escape and hope I still have the luck I had with this one.

Whats not to love!
By krootox23

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I do not see any flaws in this vehicle whats so ever. It gets great gas mileage, very very spacious. Extremely comfrotable leather interior. Engine is strong and tough. Anyone who says this car sucks or is bad is pulling it out of their a$$. I have owned the escape for nearly five years now and it has 197570 miles on it, I have never had to do any repairs except brakes rotors and oil changes with a few services for recalls.

This car gets great gas mileage and it has the sexy appeal to go along with it. The cabin is extremely spacious on the xlt model and the air conditioning floods the inside very fast and effienciently. The transmission and engine are still going like they are brand new. The car handles great and can take me any where i want to go within reasonable limits (I'm not gonna climb a vertical hill offroad). Very smooth suspension system makes it a smooth ride at 90 mph. Has a solid roof rack to strap down moulding or luggage. Its just a great crossover car!

Better speaker system is needed. I like it loud! Some steering wheel shaking at 85mph but thats just old age catching up to the old girl.

Worst car I've ever had
By glee222012

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had this car for a good year its at 90,000 miles and since day one ive had numerous problems with it. I had my winshield washer fluid never work along with my cigarette lighter(s) i dont smoke but i would have liked to put a gps in considering me and my husband travel. everytime i turn on my a/c my rpm shoots up and its start this stuttering thing and even after the a/c is turned off it still stutters. i DO NOT get 18 mpg and when i had bought it i was told i was to get 20 mpg i have to put 50 or more in it EVERY WEEK the interior as well as the exterior is falling apart the fabric on the doors are peeling off on each door and the paint is peeling off outside

there are no favorites

i suggest they recall the 2003 fords and figure out what they need to do to make it better.